Kawasaki FR691V cam lobes with ball bearing

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wish I was comforted by the high compression but I know from experience nothing comes for free. The service manual clearly states a compression ratio of 8.2:1...and that doesn't add up to 180 psi.

I checked the crankcase breather (valve?) and it is completely open both sucking and blowing on both the port that connects to the crankcase and the port that connects to the carburetor...does that seem right?
Yes your breather sounds healthy.

slomo

Threads
I measured the Cam Lobes, and they measured: 1.150", 1.150", 1.154", 1.150". The Service Manual shows a limit of 1.156".

This is slightly below the service limit, is this close enough?

Threads
The Crank Case Cover has no Gasket and relies on a soft sealant.

What sealant is recommended?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I use Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker on all valve and sump covers that use it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just make sure the contact surfaces are oil free and remain oil for at least 12 hrs to allow for proper curing times. Yes I know the Prematex tube says 30 minutes but had the sealant to leak until I went with the 12 hrs time frame.

As for the camshaft personally I would replace it but just my opinion.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most RTV goos state 24 hour cure time. The Right Stuff has a quicker setup time. Read the label on your choice of goo.

Machined flanges require an anaerobic sealant. RTV will not cure proper in this application.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
the way i do it is apply sealer to the cover, install the cover, install two bolts to help guide into the holes straight, i then install all bolts with a nut driver and let it sit for 1 hour, then torque to spec. then wait at least 24 hours before refilling with fluid.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
the way i do it is apply sealer to the cover, install the cover, install two bolts to help guide into the holes straight, i then install all bolts with a nut driver and let it sit for 1 hour, then torque to spec. then wait at least 24 hours before refilling with fluid.
Roger that. Finger tight on say two bolts for a few hours then torque to spec. (y)

slomo

Threads
Anybody know what the cam lobes measure out of the box? The service manual, as usual, only gives the minimum value.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I measured the Cam Lobes, and they measured: 1.150", 1.150", 1.154", 1.150". The Service Manual shows a limit of 1.156".

This is slightly below the service limit, is this close enough?
It's below the serviceable limit. Break out the Visa.

slomo