Kawasaki 22hp vtwin

briarscratch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I am guessing a rod. To big holes in the block. Currently trying to find a short block and have it rebuilt. Any help would be appreciated. John Deere will not sell a short block on its own only the hole engine. Going to check with the places provided above tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

briarscratch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Toro dealers and parts dealers can help you as my Toro ss5000 came with the same basic FR651V Kawi engine...Youll reuse everything on the outside of the engine itself..yours should be the 1 1/8" shaft..
I was under the impression that john deere tapers their shafts. So you are saying any 1 1/8 shaft will work?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I was under the impression that john deere tapers their shafts. So you are saying any 1 1/8 shaft will work?
The FX651 has a 28.5mm [1.122047"] (approx 1-1/8") and no JD don't taper their shafts. It is generator engines that have tapered shafts.

There are other Kawasaki engines or other engine brands that will fit. the issue the dealers are having is since the engine is on a JD the Kawasaki dealers don't have parts diagram access to that variation number because it is a JD exclusive engine.
They just don't know where to look up those engines. I haven't brought a JD Kawasaki engine part from JD in years with only a few expections. JD does have their own PNs but if you know where to look the Kawasaki PNs can be gotten and ordered usually through a Kawasaki parts distributor with a few exceptions of JD only parts. On the engine listed in post #1 I have no problem looking it up. Matter of fact the crankshaft is PN 13031-0823.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kawasaki does sell short blocks for the FX & FS, but not the FR. Why IDK ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kawasaki does sell short blocks for the FX & FS, but not the FR. Why IDK ?
AFAIK the short block for FS is the same as the FR
The actual castings are the same although I think ( too lazy to check ) the FX has a different crank
I have swapped a lot of FR's for FX's and then transferred all of the good gear off the FX onto the FR with no problems everything just bolted right on

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
How do you avoid dealing with John Deere? Have a zero turn that the Kawasaki motor blew up and I want to replace the motor. The Code for the motor is FX651V-BS02-R. Every other dealer in my area refers me back to John Deere saying they cant get the parts or new motor. I really would rather not deal with them anymore. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

This isn't a John Deere problem. Your issue is with Kawasaki or actually all the owners of said engine. Pretty sure with proper maintenance, that motor would of been fine. Someone with a little small engine knowledge would of kept her going.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
FS & FX 651V/691V/730V
1 1/8" x 100MM PTO
Shortblock P/N: 59341-0016

Lawn Addict
Threads
AFAIK the short block for FS is the same as the FR
The actual castings are the same although I think ( too lazy to check ) the FX has a different crank
I have swapped a lot of FR's for FX's and then transferred all of the good gear off the FX onto the FR with no problems everything just bolted right on

Bert- All I know is my Dealer said the FR can not get a short block (if ever needed, when I bought mine new) but FS can get a short block. Now my Factory manual shows same specs for FR & FS, except for air filter, the FS one has a mesh screen... Doh..

The FX comes with a 2 barrel carb & intake & the Donaldson 2 stage filter set up. Like I upgraded mine to. But I didn't switch to a 2 barrel carb set-up. I like it the way it is..

The crank may be different, but IIRC it is same stroke as FR & FS.