Kawasaki 22hp vtwin

briarscratch

Forum Newbie
Threads
How do you avoid dealing with John Deere? Have a zero turn that the Kawasaki motor blew up and I want to replace the motor. The Code for the motor is FX651V-BS02-R. Every other dealer in my area refers me back to John Deere saying they cant get the parts or new motor. I really would rather not deal with them anymore. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There are other Kawasaki engines or other engine brands that will fit. the issue the dealers are having is since the engine is on a JD the Kawasaki dealers don't have parts diagram access to that variation number because it is a JD exclusive engine.

briarscratch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its a John Deere 910A with the above engine. Any recommendations on particular model that would fit? Want to buy a new or newer engine to replace instead of a rebuild. Thanks

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lots of engines will bolt up. The question is are the electrics and connectors the same? Deere specs their engins and there is always some differences, usually with the electrics. You would need the engine wiring and the JD mower wiring and match things up.

briarscratch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I was careful and took photos of all the connections when I removed the motor. Looks like I will have to get someone else to assist cause this is over my head. Thanks for the feed back

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any FX, FR or FS engine will fit provided they have the same crank diameter as they come in both 1" & 1 &1/8"
The only difference in the FX from the FR & FS is the carb & the blower housing.
Thus your cheapest repair will be to buy an FS 651 and swap over the blower housing
Forgot about the carbs
The 3 engines are built on the same short block so they will all interchange
as is the 691 ( you check by the bore & stroke ).
So the cheapest has a small alternator, single barrel carb ,plastic blower housing and internal filter ( which is not particularly good )
Net price jump gets you a bigger alternator & a 2 barrel carb
Next step gives you a metal blower housing & external Donaldson type air filter
Small Engine Suppliers
Small Engine Warehouse
Should both have some FS or FR 651's
If not Repower definately will

as a rule of thumb you can ignore Hp it is meaningless when it comes to repowering an engine.
Engines are built in crankcases and most suppliers will start with a bore & stroke, the increase the bore
Then increase the stroke
Then increase the bore
Then increase the stroke
And on and on
Usually engines of the same stroke will interchange
Engines with a longer stroke tend to be longer & wider as they have bigger crankshafts

So when looking for a replacement you look at the capacity of the engine not the Hp
Hp variations are done by changing the carb main jet and governor springs if at all .
So any single capacity engine will usually come in 3 Hp ratings

Last edited:

Midnight_Rider

Forum Newbie
Threads
Toro dealers and parts dealers can help you as my Toro ss5000 came with the same basic FR651V Kawi engine...Youll reuse everything on the outside of the engine itself..yours should be the 1 1/8" shaft..

4getgto

Threads
Check these guys out.
"repowerpros.com"
Had good luck with them and very knowledgeable.