Export thread

JohnDeere Electric 90

K

KennyV

John Deere built this great electric Rider in the early 70's. It was a 36 volt system. Worked great, I had 2 of them, nice quiet rider, with 2 electric motors on the deck & one larger electric drive motor & 3 speed transmission. still have a lot of parts.
Here is a small picture I found on line...
:smile:KennyV

Attachments

R

Rivets

Kenny, that was the first electric I ever worked on. As you said great machine. Wish today's electrical systems were as easy to work on as back then. Thanks for bringing back good memories.

P

panabiker

Makes me wonder why we don't see more of them today. The battery technology has advanced quite a bit after 40 years.

M

msaeger

How long could you run on a charge with that?

K

KennyV

How long could you run on a charge with that?

If you kept things reasonably trimmed & mowed, you could mow 1/3 - 1/2 of an acre, (medium sized lawn), easily on a charge... :smile:KennyV

V

VA Husker

Hi,

I am new to the forum here...I just knew there were some admirers of the Electric 90!

I had to read the rules through an itty bitty window, so if showing a couple of mowers for sale is wrong...sorry.

Long story short, my Dad drove an electric car for years and a fellow told him that he could have his John Deere Electric 90 if he could pull it out from behind his barn.

So Dad pulled it out, cleaned it up, bought some batteries and a 36V charger, made a few small repairs and more or less retired his gas powered Cub Cadet. (Once he got the Electric 90 running, he really didn't feel like using the gas mower)! His yard and extra adjacent lot were probably closer to an acre than a half acre...I just thought it was amazing that they worked as well as they did. It still runs fine. The Interstate deep cycle batteries are probably 4 or 5 years old, but still cut about 3/4ths of that large area before needing to hit the charger for a while.

Sure is nice not having to run for gas, change oil, plugs, air cleaners, or winterize it. No stale gas or gummy carburetor problems, either.

After he had this mower a while he somehow acquired a second mower minus the deck, batteries and seat. It still appears to have the drive motor installed when I saw it last week.

I didn't see anything in the rules about offering it for sale, but if I missed it, please just let me know. The mowers are located at my parents house in the midwest near Lincoln, NE. If these mowers are something that you may be interested in owning you can just reply to the CL listing. My Dad passed away last year and I don't have room for these myself or I would take them.

You can find the listing and pictures on Craigslist under Lincoln, NE/ farm and garden, or click the link at the bottom.

One complete and running mower, one matching mower less the deck, seat, and batteries. You would also get TWO 36V chargers (not sure why he had two of them, unless he was eventually going to put one on board.) There is an anderson connector pigtail that can be attached to the battery pack so that you can just drive up to the charger and plug it in. I would really like to see these go to someone that appreciates them.

Thanks.

John Deere Electric Mower 90, includes spare for parts

S

SiO2

Hello, I too am a newby to this forum.

VA Husker, I took the liberty of posting your craigs list ad on the Elec-Trak forum under tractors for sale-hope that was ok?

I have a 1972 GE Elec-Trak E15 that I mow my 3 acres with--great machines--still running after 40 years.

FYI, there is a Elec-Trak swap meet happening in the Dayton, Ohio area on Saturday, 29 September 2012.
details are at Elec-Trak.com

Happy Trails...
Bruce

V

VA Husker

Sure, that's fine. Thanks. I saw an elec-trak mower rig at the EVADC and Power of DC meet in MD a few years ago. Impressive machine.

Hello, I too am a newby to this forum.

VA Husker, I took the liberty of posting your craigs list ad on the Elec-Trak forum under tractors for sale-hope that was ok?

I have a 1972 GE Elec-Trak E15 that I mow my 3 acres with--great machines--still running after 40 years.

FYI, there is a Elec-Trak swap meet happening in the Dayton, Ohio area on Saturday, 29 September 2012.
details are at Elec-Trak.com

Happy Trails...
Bruce

O

ozzieandharriet

John Deere built this great electric Rider in the early 70's. It was a 36 volt system. Worked great, I had 2 of them, nice quiet rider, with 2 electric motors on the deck & one larger electric drive motor & 3 speed transmission. still have a lot of parts.
Kenny, I am looking for a switch that starts the mower deck, John Deere part # AM 33986 or AM 35267.

K

KennyV

PM me your mailing address and I will remove one from one of my E90's...
I'm glad to see it going to keep another mower running... :smile:KennyV

M

missmoyu

I often read your post, I just thought I would say to keep the good work!

D

dalebob

Hi. I am brand new to this forum, but not to JD90 ownership! I recently bent the armature on one of the mower motors and was wondering if someone knows where I might find one. Or a complete motor if they are available somewhere. Also, has anyone tried adding some kind of speed control to the drive motor? It's something I've been thinking about doing but haven't seen done on this machine. Thanks!

K

KennyV

WELCOME to LMF...
I'm sure I have a few around... I will see if I can locate one...
An amperage controlling stepper could be adapted from a golf cart, same 36 voltage... but for me the transmission did a good job with no reduction of torque... The small drive motors actually need their full rpm to make the needed power output.
The bent shaft is a big problem for direct drive electric motors & gas engines...I suspect your blade struck something..?
My big problem was with magnets coming off the inside of the motors... :smile:KennyV

D

dalebob

Yes indeed. A large rock hidden in the leaves that I swear wasn't there last time I mowed! If you have one I would be most grateful. And if you have an armature I have a guy here who can rebuild the existing motor and I would have a spare. On a side note, I bought this mower because we live off-grid and I love the fact that I can mow with sunshine. The guy who had it worked for John Deere and bought it new off the showroom floor. Didn't even advertise it as electric; just "JD 90 mower for sale". All original and in great condition. And it even came with good batteries. Couldn't believe my luck.
Let me know what you need to make this happen. Thanks again.

K

KennyV

It will be a couple days before I have a chance to locate parts... You can have them for postage to get them to you... Glad to hear there are E90's still mowing...
I will PM you for an address when I locate parts.... Anything else you need from E90? :smile:KennyV

D

dalebob

Where I am it's 65 and sunny on December 3rd. We should be plowing snow but instead I've been out digging and working in the yard in short sleeves. Kenny V, I was wondering if you have had any luck locating any parts that would get my E90 back into functioning mode? Also, I've wanted to post a photo but right now the mower is in pieces on the garage floor. I'll go ahead and post one "as is" so you can see it and one of our newly installed latest solar array. With this one I should have unlimited solar charging ability for the mower this summer. Thanks again.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Where I am it's 65 and sunny on December 3rd.

Yeah, here it got up to 68 degrees today...same thing tomorrow. :thumbsup:

K

KennyV

Kenny V, I was wondering if you have had any luck locating any parts that would get my E90 back into functioning mode? ...

Hello ... the weather has been warm here also, everywhere is having the 'New weather'...
Didn't find any of my old Maytag motors & parts... for maytag... they are around somewhere...

I have located one of the deck motors... PM me your mailing address I'll package it up, and tell you the shipping charge, it should fit into a medium flat rate box... so it should be only around
$11.35...

D

dalebob

KennyV, I want to thank you again for your help in locating the deck motor for my E90. Unfortunately I am getting an error message that your message box is full and you need to clear some space. I will try sending later.

K

KennyV

KennyV,I am getting an error message that your message box is full and you need to clear some space. I will try sending later.

Done... try it now.:smile:KennyV

K

KennyV

Got it boxed up & ready to go this evening... I didn't appreciate how big it was until I was fitting it into a box...
Anyway it will go out tomorrow. I'll let you know postage... :smile:KennyV

D

dalebob

Got it boxed up & ready to go this evening... I didn't appreciate how big it was until I was fitting it into a box...
Anyway it will go out tomorrow. I'll let you know postage... :smile:KennyV

Looking forward to it!

K

KennyV

It's headed your way... just a bit over 18 pounds at $13.70.... 11.35 + 2.35 for insurance.
with holiday mail increased load it's hard to say how quick it will get there, but the gal at the PO guessed Mon or Tuesday.... :smile:KennyV

Carscw

Carscw

KennyV your a good man to do this for a man you have never met.
I take my hat off to you for this and all the help you have gave everyone here.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

K

KennyV

Thanks,
I'm just so very glad that there will be another E90 still running. Dale sounds like he has a good handle on these fun mowers...
Along with the thanks for your kind words, You also have helped a lot of folks here:thumbsup:...

D

dalebob

KennyV your a good man to do this for a man you have never met.
I take my hat off to you for this and all the help you have gave everyone here.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF
I will second that. When I took the motor into the shop, the guy told me , basically, good luck finding parts for THAT! I didn't know about the Forum or KennyV then but I am sure glad I do now. Thank you and Merry Christmas to all.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I will second that. When I took the motor into the shop, the guy told me , basically, good luck finding parts for THAT! I didn't know about the Forum or KennyV then but I am sure glad I do now. Thank you and Merry Christmas to all.

Merry Christmas to you too, dalebob! :smile:

R

Rambow

KennyV, I've got a JD electric 90, 1974/75. I need a Service Manuel to rebuild the wiring of the battery charging system. I'm rebuilding the charger, but wiring was unclear. Might you have a picture or schematic? it's the one with a timer knob and rectangle charge indicator. Thanks, Dan

BlazNT

BlazNT

This thread is 4 years old. Probable wont get response.

S

Samwhit1949

I have a nice Electric 90 that needs one deck motor. Any ideas? Thanks