John Deere X570 Cuts Grass Too Low

toddsyr

Threads
Thanks Bert. I bought the following on Amazon:

WYNNsky Low Pressure Pencil Tire Gauge 1-20 PSI for Golf Carts, ATV'S and Air Springs​

It had good reviews on other sites and it will be here in a few days.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
People get hung up on numbers.
If the tyre is 10 psi at 6 am in the shed then it will be 12 psi after being left in the sun for a couple of hours and perhaps right up to 15 or more in the heat of the afternoon.
SO you find a pressure that works for you measured at say 9 am in your shed and then always measure it at 9 am in your shed.
Like valve lash , to be reliably repeated it has to be done cold.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not sure how your deck is mounted, but if you have an adjustable front drag link and there are no obstructions where you mow, you can also heel the deck.
That means raising the front 1/2 " higher than the back .
Down side is the mower will hang on any tree root etc it comes across and you will have to mow slower to avoid overwhelming the deck.
Good side is you tend to get a nicer cut when heeling because each blade of grass, except those right at the edge gets cut twice
Once by the front & again by the back.
That just might get you that extra 1/2" you are looking for.
If the deck has adusters on both sides then raise them both to the highest setting while keeping the deck level left - right then use the front drag link to adjust back to front.
Before you mow make sure that if you push the deck up to the limit of it's travel the deck pulleys do not foul on the underside of the mower or drive belt .
If only one side has an adjuster see if you can fit another one to the other side

Last edited:

toddsyr

Threads
Well I know nothing is perfect but I want some semblance of accuracy. It's over $300 to replace just the rear tires so I don't want to ruin them by over-inflating them too much. If you haven't noticed, I'm rather new at this stuff with lawn tractors. I'm erring on the side of caution when I can because of that and I spent a lot on this machine. I really appreciate everyone's input.

I don't have any tree roots but I do have a slope that's rather short but steep. When the deck height is anything less than max height it gets scalped pretty good. I know, fix the slope. Thing is I already made it a lot better than it was. There USED to be tree roots there but when I laid the sod I covered the roots with soil and leveled it out somewhat better. I'll improve it further one day. We'll see what the service tech says when he looks at in this Wednesday. I'll be sure to post on here what transpires so that it may help others too.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Here I inflate the front tire to 15 psi (cold) and the rear tires to 10-12 psi (cold). You do both left and right sides near the same pressure for level cutting side to side. Anyting above 12 psi will give a much rougher ride and my back don't like that.

Any tree surface roots should be removed most are just feeder roots. Personally I don't like removing them but it is necessary. I get a lot deck in with impact damage from roots. It can be costly to fix; just depends how bad od lick it took. I had one customer to completely hang up his mower and I had remove the deck and then cut and dig up root his blade was lodge into before I could move the deck.. He was worrried I was going to damage the deck. I informed him it is already damaged just how bad I had find out once I could get a look at it.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good tire pressure gages are made by Milton Industries. Amazon carries a wide range.
Your operators manual states 14psi for the front tires and 12psi for the rear.
Have you adjusted the deck according to the instructions in your operators manual?
Get your tire pressure correct and adjust the deck as described in the manual.
Many times, the deck isn’t adjusted properly when a unit is purchased. Many times the tire pressure isn’t correct either.
Every riding mower that I’ve purchased came with too much air in the tires and the deck out of adjustment.

raisin1

Threads
Dropping a tire gauge can change its reading. Good to have a couple. Maybe pencil and dial with pressure hold button. I agree Milton is good, sells hoses couplers etc. Farm stores sell it all.

toddsyr

Threads
Thanks guys. Yes, Milton was a top rated one from what I read up on today. I'll probably get one of those too. Right now I had to get what I could without too much delay.

The deck should have been adjusted and leveled when they were getting ready to deliver it. I specifically asked them about that. If they didn't do that then the guy that comes Wednesday can do it. My warranty covers at home service.

BTW, I just double checked the manual. 14 psi in the front tires, 10 in the back. This is for the X570. I don't want to spread disinformation. The internet has enough of that. I know you mean well though and I appreciate it.

toddsyr

Threads
I agree. Any instrument that is battery powered may still work when the battery is not at full charge but the reading will probably not be accurate.