John Deere X570 Cuts Grass Too Low

oneoldsap

Threads
You should have 14# of air in the front tires , and 10# in the rears . Make sure you have this , as tire pressures are critical to mower performance !

northcreeek262

Threads
Have you explored using different blades? Many blades dip down at the ends. On my Jacobsen I installed Gator blades that don't dip down and changed the cut depth by 5/8" ....Mike.

eddieirvine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks, new member here. I very recently bought a new John Deere X570 lawn tractor with the 48" mowing deck. With the deck height dial set at 4" it actually cuts the grass down to just over 3". My lawn is pretty new, bluegrass sod was put down 2 years ago. Cutting the grass this low makes it turn yellow and brown. Even the company that treats our lawn said not to cut it under 4"and it definitely seems it's the right information.

I have the 7 year "bumper to bumper" warranty on it so the dealer is sending somebody over next week to look at it but they said they couldn't promise they could get it to cut at 4". They even said at first that the numbers on the dial are not inches. I then explained that the John Deere website I selected the tractor from says you can cut your lawn from 1-4 inches, in 1/4 inch increments.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if it was resolved satisfactorily. I didn't find any other complaints on the internet about this so my hope remains high that I can cut my lawn in the future without stressing it.

Comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated, for good or for bad.

Thank you,
Todd K Stearns
check you mower deck by measuring from cement to blade, from my experience these gauges are not correct. So set you gauge at say 3 inches then make adjustments with your mower deck however that is done, manual or check on you tube how to adjust it. set it up at a height on your gauge then move the mower deck to that height .

raisin1

Threads
Mow at wide open throttle to raise grass to cut as per manual. I have not seen commercial mowers cutting as high as 4" here in S. Michigan. That's in my area.

Last edited:

bkeller500

Threads
I had a similar ( short cutting) issue so I bought a 4" pipe ( 3/4" x 4" pipe nipple at Home Depot), then set my HOC to 4" on the tractor. Then I used the pipe nipple to measure at the blade tips and adjusted the leveling screws with the JD T-wrench. This way I get the blades level and set at the normal 4" heigh I like to mow at. Double check that air pressure, it makes a BIG difference.

Optimum

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tend to agree with you. I don't know of a grass type that needs 4". I'd mow it at the top n come back a couple days later and mow it one notch shorter. Then mow as usual at top height. I've checked with our state ag extension office and don't see any grass type that requires 4" mowing. That said, mowing high intially will help establish deeper root growth, but the sod is 2 years old now and establishing roots happened within the first few months of installation and for sure the second season.

vol1954

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks, new member here. I very recently bought a new John Deere X570 lawn tractor with the 48" mowing deck. With the deck height dial set at 4" it actually cuts the grass down to just over 3". My lawn is pretty new, bluegrass sod was put down 2 years ago. Cutting the grass this low makes it turn yellow and brown. Even the company that treats our lawn said not to cut it under 4"and it definitely seems it's the right information.

I have the 7 year "bumper to bumper" warranty on it so the dealer is sending somebody over next week to look at it but they said they couldn't promise they could get it to cut at 4". They even said at first that the numbers on the dial are not inches. I then explained that the John Deere website I selected the tractor from says you can cut your lawn from 1-4 inches, in 1/4 inch increments.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if it was resolved satisfactorily. I didn't find any other complaints on the internet about this so my hope remains high that I can cut my lawn in the future without stressing it.

Thank you,
Todd K Stearns
Admittedly, my John Deere is a much older model and things may have changed, but my owners manual tells you how to make manual adjustments to the cutting height to make it match the height adjustor knob. Goes something like this.....make sure that tire pressures are correct and equal, go beneath the tractor between the frame and the deck to locate adjusters. Turn the blades parallel to the wheels and measure from the blade tips down to the concrete and use the adjusters between the frame and deck to make each side of the deck equal to the height on the adjustment knob. Then turn the blades perpendicular to the wheels and using another adjuster between the front wheels, adjust so that the front blade tip is 1/4 inch lower than rear blade tip.

If my instructions seem unclear, search for John Deere 345 owners manual online.

crobar13

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thank you,
Todd K Stearns
Most of these decks are hung by 3 threaded rods, one on each side and one in front. If you can raise the nuts 1 inch, you can raise the deck 1 inch. Check to see if they will go higher.

Gord Baker

Threads
I have an X320 and I love the way it cuts. 4" is way too high for me in Southern ON. I have it set so the bogey wheels barely touch/rotate. You might look and under deck adjustments to Deck Hangers.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back up and punt.
1: Inflate your tires to the proper pressure.
2: Get your mower on a level surface and adjust according to the operators manual.
3: Mow you a test strip and measure the actual height of grass that has been cut. You now have a baseline.
4: Adjust your cutting height dial until you match your actual desired cutting height of the grass.
NOTE: Rarely if ever does the cutting height settings match the actual height of grass that is cut.
5: Your blades need to be sharp and you should mow with the throttle wide open.
Here is a guide for mowing Kentucky Bluegrass.