John Deere D170 traction issues

mikek

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought a high end D170 riding tractor going into my 2nd summer the problem is with only 1 wheel drive I can't mow my 3 acre hillside lawn due to poor traction, was wondering if swapping out the stock turf tires with more aggressive ones if available would make a difference otherwise I'll have to sell it for a big loss along with the snow thrower attachment I never used and try to figure something else out.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bought a high end D170 riding tractor going into my 2nd summer the problem is with only 1 wheel drive I can't mow my 3 acre hillside lawn due to poor traction, was wondering if swapping out the stock turf tires with more aggressive ones if available would make a difference otherwise I'll have to sell it for a big loss along with the snow thrower attachment I never used and try to figure something else out.

WELCOME to the Forums Mikek...

Not many ways to say this but the 170 is not a "high end" lawn tractor... There are not as many things you can do to that light mower to improve it's traction, without negatively effecting the trans axle...

The first thing to try is drop the air pressure in the rear tires, that will give you a larger foot print.
You could put wheel weights on the drive wheels, But I don't think those wheels have the mounting holes for weights... You could load the tires, but with small tires, that will not gain much weight... :smile:KennyV

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tire chains or tractor tires with wheel weights

mikek

Forum Newbie
Threads
WELCOME to the Forums Mikek...

Not many ways to say this but the 170 is not a "high end" lawn tractor... There are not as many things you can do to that light mower to improve it's traction, without negatively effecting the trans axle...

The first thing to try is drop the air pressure in the rear tires, that will give you a larger foot print.
You could put wheel weights on the drive wheels, But I don't think those wheels have the mounting holes for weights... You could load the tires, but with small tires, that will not gain much weight... :smile:KennyV

Great input; dropping the pressure would put the mowing deck too low which it already is due to hill side terrain, tried chains but they dig up the turf, have rear counter weights which helps some what, looks like Craig's list sale and see whats out there and affordable in 4WD.