JD starting problem

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you also have 12 V at the heavy battery connection to the bottom of the solenoid .
If that is happening then bridge the 2 heavy terminals on the solenoid
If the starter does not spin , then run a jumper from the battery - post to a good ground point on the engine.

Telesis

Threads
Just to be clear, did you measure the voltage when the trigger wire is connected and you are in the start position as Star suggested(in other words under load)? If you have 12v and the solenoid is not engaging, there are 2 possible scenarios. One, the solenoid is bad(I realize you are on your 2nd one...). Two, the grounding path from the solenoid back to the battery is compromised. Temporarily connect a wire from the stud on solenoid that grounds it, up to the battery negative post directly and try again. Do this test while still measuring the voltage at the trigger terminal on the solenoid. Let us know your results.

You can also test your first solenoid (and this one for that matter) independent of the machine. Connect a wire from the trigger terminal on the solenoid to the + battery terminal and a wire from the grounded mounting stud to the - battery. If good, you'll hear a very distinctive 'click'. Lots of YT vids showing this.

While many electrical issues are the result of bad or failing components like safety, PTO, and ignition switches, many also are the result of grounding problems due to corrosion, vibration, etc.

Let us know what you find!

olie01

Threads
use jumper cables from frame ground or the engine it self, and positive post on battery an go straight to the terminal on the starter, if it spins it's not the starter, now go to the other side of the cable and do the same thing, know go to the hot side of the cable with the positive , on the solenoid, and do the same thing if it spins the cable is corroded at the terminal or internally.

mitchstein443

Threads
your solenoid is bad, OR the thick wire from the battery to solenoid is bad or loose OR the thick battery from the solenoid to the starter is loose or bad.

you already tested for 12v at the tab, now test the post that is connected to the battery, there should be 12v there all the time. If there isn't the battery post, wire or solenoid post is the culprit, loosen, clean and retighten the wire and test again, if it is still bad replace the wire.

Now once you find 12v at the battery to solenoid post, test the other post while the key is in the start position, if there is not 12v at that post replace te solenoid. If there is 12v at that post test for 12v at the starter, if there is not 12v on the starter post while the key is in the start position then the wire or connection to the posts is bad, loosen, clean retighten, test again, if still no 12v at the starter post then replace the wire between the solenoid and the starter.

If there is 12v at the starter post and the starter does not turn or even try to turn, replace the started.

All the solenoid is is a switch, when 12v is applied to the tab it connects the two big posts together, thus connecting the battery to the starter, since you said you can jump the battery to the strter and it spins, chances are a wire is loose, corroded betwen contacts or the solenoid is bad.

will53

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds familiar to mine last year and new solenoid was the ticket. Test light showed things were happening but contacts not passing enough current due to corrosion.

smitty66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry guys I was gone to Washington State visiting my daughter who is a Dr. stationed in the Navy there. Just flew back in last night. It's storming today in Georgia today and will be for the next few days but as soon as it quits I will try the good ideas that you guys have posted for me. I just want to say thank you all for the help. I will let ya'll know how it turns out.

smitty66

Forum Newbie
Threads
You guys may not believe this because I still don't but here goes. I got back from Washington state and the storms lasted until Wednesday. I waited until Saturday when the weather was good and went out to the JD LX172 hit the key and it spun the starter!!!!! It didn't start right away but I put fresh gas in and cut the fuel solonoid pin off and it fired right up.I still don't understand what made the starter start turning but I'm not complaining. Thanks for all you guys' help'