JD starting problem

smitty66

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere LX172 that will not tun over. New battery, new starter all safety switches check out. I've got 12.6 volts from the key switch to the solonoid and it still will not turn over. Anybody have any idea on what might be the problem. Oh yeah this is the second new starter same issue with the first new starter. I'm tottally confused.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What do you mean, “will not turn over”? Engine will not spin when you engage the starter or engine spins but engine will not start? If the starter engages the engine, but the flywheel will not turn try this. Remove the spark plugs and try turning the engine over. If the engine spins first thing to check is valve clearance. When you report back, please provide us with a better picture of what you have. Remember we are not standing next to you with a strong drink in our hand to see what your problem is.

smitty66

Forum Newbie
Threads
The starter will not engage. I've got 12.6 volts going to the solonoid. Turn the key to the start position and nothing happens.

smitty66

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can jump the starter solonoid and it will turn the starter.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The question is "Is there 12VDC on the trigger tab when you turn the ignition switch to start position?"? IF not then you work backward through the ignition, brake, and the PTO to find out where 12 is disappearing. While at it check that both 15 amp fuses are intact.

smitty66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Both fuses are good. Getting 12v at the solonoid doesn't indicate good ignition,brake and PTO switches?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is two places on the solenoid 12 can be that's why I asked is this at the trigger terminal when the ignition is in the start position. The other larger terminla is the one connected directly to the battery. If the 12 volts is at the trigger terminal with ignition in the start position then the solenoid is bad since you are able jump the two large terminal and get the starter to work.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
from what i gather (LX172) tractor uses a piggy back solenoid, 1619387095921.png
and that Trigger terminal is the blade connector between the 2 big posts.
So, OP, disconnect the trigger wire, stick your + probe into the terminal, and neg probe to good ground. turn the key to start. take note of the voltage displayed while key is in start.

smitty66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yessir done that. That's where I have 12.6v when the switch is in the start position. It is a brand new starter and solonoid and this is the second one that's doing the same thing. That's why I'm so confused.