JD 112 Kohler engine lugging down

Greg O

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently bought a old 112 with a Kohler engine. after it runs for a short period of time it bogs down like it has a very heavy load on the engine. Something internal is causing this load. The governor opens the throttle wide open. I have heard the stator may become overloaded. I put a new regulator rectifier on it because it was not charging when I bought it. But the new RR did not make any difference with the problem. It does charge now at a rate of about 10 amps, maybe slightly less. This tractor has an electric clutch. As soon as I idle the engine down it seems to be fine. I would think if it were a mechanical problem such as a piston seizing it would stall at idle. Any ideas?

Thanks

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Mine turned out to be a worn air fuel mixture needle adjustment screw. Bought a carb on eBay for a few bucks, cleaned it and used the part needed. Boxed the rest for future needs.
Tractor was constantly using the governor with erratic idle full throttle speeds. 12hp Kohler on a Jacobsen 12-50

Greg O

Forum Newbie
Threads
I played with the fuel mixture, but all I got was to rich a mix. The throttle shaft is tight, so I am not sure it is carburation. When it gets into this situation the engine is working so hard that the throttle is wide open and I can actually hear the engine pinging it is working that hard.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
.... I can actually hear the engine pinging it is working that hard.

Engine 'ping' is Not from working hard... It is generally caused by timing OR fuel problems.... But it can also be caused by Heat... if the engine is running too hot it can be detonating ...
Check that the cooling system (blower and cooling fins) is functional...
A very lean fuel mixture, such as an intake air leak will also cause this... :smile:KennyV