Is this valve bent?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd try to relap the valves before doing anything serious. Having the valve sticking open a bit might have messed up the seat to valve contact. Get some lapping compound, probably videos on Youtube on this.

Richie F

Threads
Valve head seat face must always be square to the valve seat in the head.
Don't care what the angle of the valve is in relation to combustion head.
Could the valve seat come loose in the head and it "looks like" the valve is bent ?
You're pictures to me show nothing of the problem.

bluefitness

Threads
I was able to get it to kick off or fire once or twice. I wouldn't say that it actually started, however.

Is there a way to put the spring back on without a special tool, if I remove the intake valve?

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
There is, with me it usually involves a flat head screwdriver, plenty of patience, and some bloody and gouged knuckles. or finger tips
since then i've gotten a Stens 750-174, or similar, you just install the spring with the keeper in the grooves and adjust the holding grooves wider or narrower to hold it tight, but not too tight., and then compress it, then i stick it on the valve with the keeper hole towards me, so that way i just pull the tool straight back and voila!
51vxFjjpcHL._SL1000_.jpg

bluefitness

Threads
I noticed the exhaust valve bumps open a little bit on the compression stroke. Is this a compression release mechanism to make it easier to pull start?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What particular tecumseh are you working on, model # ?

Born2Mow

Threads
Hold your thumb over the empty plug hole. With the throttle wide open (to let air in), turning the engine full-speed by pull rope or motor should blow your thumb off the port.

bluefitness

Threads
Are you supposed to put grease or oil on the intake and exhaust stems, springs, etc.? I noticed the intake stem was difficult to put back in. The exhaust valve was easy. I'm assuming it was because of the intake valve seal.