Is there a better Air Filter for Kawasaki FR651V out there ?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Is there a better Air Filter for Kawasaki FR651V out there ?
What did the Donaldson guy say about jets?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nothing about the jets, I asked & he said to talk to Kaw about that. Kaw says it is tampering with. :confused2:

This mod has me hot one day, & the next day cold. Everytime I think that logically this should be a great mod, I read some neg stuff about trying it.

My Z runs primo, sometimes I wish I could leave well enough alone.

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You've already bought the Donaldson setup, haven't you? In that case, you might as well forge ahead. Save the parts you take off in case you have to beat a hasty retreat.

If you're not a commercial mowing outfit, it's probably overkill. But what the hell? Overkill is what we do best.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yup, I snagged a used Donaldson set-up was on a FX691, super cheap, but looks like new (arrived today, better than the pics).

No I'm not commercial mowing outfit, just my place, & I know it's overkill. But agree "we do overkill best".

I have maybe 2 more mows left, & should be done for this season. I gotta get canister washed up internally & thorough inspection, & plot what I wanna do.

Sidenote: What I find interesting is the 2 barrel FX engines use 2 different size main jets, & they have a pilot jet which my single barrel FR does not.

Main Jet No.

FR main jet = 0 ∼ ∼ 1 000 m (0 ∼ ∼ 3 000 ft)= #124
High Altitude Main Jet then= # 122 & leanest = #120

FX
main jets= 0 ∼ ∼ 1 000 m (0 ∼ ∼ 3 000 ft)
Left= #110 & R= # 114

Lawn Addict
Threads
What the amount of negative posts saying this can't & / or shouldn't be done, makes me wanna give it a shot all the more.

John R

Threads
K&N filters do let the engine get more air, but they also pass more dirt into the engine.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree, that's why I ruled out K&N filters early on in this thread. I'll be using Donaldson filter.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can blame the EPA ( again ) for the odd jets on the twin barrel carbs
Which ever cylinder fires second gets a smaller jet.
This is because the air coming into the second cylinder is slightly richer because it gets a micro second of idle circuit from the other cylinder.

All V twins exhibit this if they have a common manifold.
Even parallel twins do the same thing.
On the 50's British twin motorcycles with a single carb you could get a variety of tapered manifolds to overcome the induction bias.
So if you set the carb for the left, it would be slightly out for the right & and visa versa.
Now no one worried about this till the 10's when pencil dic#s ( to quote Bill Murry ) with no idea about the technology behind the regulations they were enforcing got results for very expensive exhaust analysers.
Just about every commercial jet pumps out around 1/2 ton or more unburned fuel on every take off where they can not engage the afterburners and that would be at just about every airport in the entire USA

And these pencil dic#s are worried about 1/10,000 lb from your mower, like it is going to make a gnats knakker of difference to world pollution.
This is h same reason why the kawasaki technicians can not tell you it will be fine because if the engine runs the tiniest bit richer, then the engine is not EPA compliant and you have committed a federal crime by tampering with an EPA compliant engine.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree 100% Bert.

primerbulb120

Threads
I agree 100.1 percent.