Is my engine toast?

Oddball

Threads
I was cutting around a low stump yesterday and pushed the mower over the stump and the blade hit it, stopping the mower immediately. It started right back up again but was running rough and vibrating so I shut it down and flipped it over, gas tank side up, to see what I could see under the deck. I thought maybe the blade was bent or worse, the shaft, but everything looked OK. I righted it and let it sit for a couple of minutes to let the oil settle and when I pulled the cord a lot of white smoke came out the muffler and it would not start. After several pulls I finally got it going again but it was smoking badly and still vibrating. Oil began draining out of the muffler after I shut it down again. Anyone care to venture a guess what's wrong and is it salvageable?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am going to take a guess and say when you hit the stump you bent the crankshaft. Now when you flipped the mower you filled the combustion chamber full of oil. I would say just straighten the crankshaft with a big hammer and run the mower till it quits smoking.

Oddball

Threads
I am going to take a guess and say when you hit the stump you bent the crankshaft. Now when you flipped the mower you filled the combustion chamber full of oil. I would say just straighten the crankshaft with a big hammer and run the mower till it quits smoking.

Thanks Reynoldston. That was my first thought too, about the shaft, however, I've turned the blade by hand and there is no apparent wobble, so if the shaft is bent, its so slight that I cannot tell. I wondered if that was the case with the oil, but I thought by turning it on its side with the gas tank side up, that was supposed to prevent the oil from getting where its not supposed to be. I'll try running it again and see what happens.