Is it worth doing it yourself?

macky

Threads
I have sometimes ordered the parts, but I don't think I am very handy, and sometimes cause more problems than I had originally! I prefer to buy the part if I can find it pretty cheap, and then have a professional do it!

I feel this way about cars. But I'm not sure if buying a part and letting the professional do it works for me. Most often, I consult the professional and they tell me what to buy, and then I buy it. If in doubt, I would ask other professionals.

What happens is, I get expert advise. Second, cost goes down because these professionals know where to buy the best deals. Third, a few times I get something for free or half the price. They happen to have a spare item that gathers dust and they want to get rid of it.

touree

Threads
Well, it is worth it because everything is a learning process. It all centers around interest because you do not want to hire someone all the time and neither do you want to keep on not doing something wrong.

What matters is, are you adding value to your mower?

AndyMan

Threads
Every time you fix something yourself you are one step closer to really understanding your equipment. What you learn by fixing your mower can then be applied when your snowblower (or ATV or chain saw) has a a similar problem.

Manny

Threads
I'm thinking that maybe if I buy a new one, it wouldn't hurt to "tinker" with the old one. And if I get it working, woo-hoo, I have a back-up! And may have learned something new in the process...

173abn

Threads
I try to study up on it,ask Questions and advice on different forums and buy a manual and study it before I go into something I haven't done before.I also like to take pics. during the take down process in case I forget when I go to put it back together. russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
buy a manual and study it before I go into something I haven't done before.

I also like to take pics. during the take down process in case I forget when I go to put it back together. russ

You can never have too many manuals ....
And the BEST addition to the mobile phone was the CAMERA... tooooooo handy. :smile:KennyV

Jess

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've always thought this is worth it, because it saves you a ton of money in the long run. Good for you for doing it on your own :) I personally don't have the patience.

Threads
If you are capable of trouble shooting and finding what part you need . I would think you are also capable of replacing that part, diagnois is usally the hardest part of the repair. Also you need to be able to determine what made the part go bad in the first place. Just replacing parts can get expensive if you don't fix the real problem. That is what you pay a dealer for. Also in my shop the repair is warranted usually for 90 days including labor. If you purchase your parts elsewhere how much warranty is on it and who replaces it for you. There's not much difference in parts pricing anyway from one place to another.
Example; ignition swicthes, 90% of them have 5 prongs on the back of them but if youlook closely you will find a letter on each terminal(that letter means something). Just using any 5 prong switch can possibly burn out an ignition module or damage the charging system.
I would suggest you to start a relationship with your local dealer. It might be a little more expensive but it will be cheaper in the long run I promise