Is it worth doing it yourself?

Manny

Threads
I have sometimes ordered the parts, but I don't think I am very handy, and sometimes cause more problems than I had originally! I prefer to buy the part if I can find it pretty cheap, and then have a professional do it!

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you really wanted to fix it yourself, you would find out how and fix it, and that would be great. It seems like you're not comfortable with this task so you hire someone. That's great too, not everybody is inclined to take things apart and see how it works.
So I would say your probably better off paying someone else. That's a lot better than getting in over your head and ruining a good mower eh?

jhwentworth

Threads
I prefer to buy the part if I can find it pretty cheap, and then have a professional do it!

I'm curious; how well received are you when you ask that work be done using parts you've purchased elsewhere? What kind of shop do you use: dealer or independent shop? Who does the problem diagnosis? Do you pay for the estimate? What happens if the replaced part doesn't fix the problem?

I think that many, if not most, shops count on a mark-up on parts as a portion of their profits in their business model. Without that parts mark-up, the shop has to either accept less profit, charge a higher labor rate, or get imaginative in their labor billing.

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
I think that is worth it for you based on all the problems you have had. Plus, it's not like it's going to cost you that much more money. That's a great idea.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm curious; how well received are you when you ask that work be done using parts you've purchased elsewhere?

I was kind of wondering about that myself...
I can see it if you are using some specialty or exotic part that is a custom piece... BUT other than that its sort of like bringing your own eggs and bread to the diner and asking them to cook and toast them for you... usually frowned on...
:smile:KennyV

lizard

Threads
I was kind of wondering about that myself...
I can see it if you are using some specialty or exotic part that is a custom piece... BUT other than that its sort of like bringing your own eggs and bread to the diner and asking them to cook and toast them for you... usually frowned on...
:smile:KennyV

You hit the nail on the head.........its taking profits away from the repairers........like they are having a hard enough time with a Disposable products.
You buy a new toaster......you do not repair!
Buy a cheap whipper snipper......then throw it away when it breaks.......and get a new one........in Australia they are getting the cheap throw away imports........people buy them!:mad::eek:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
..in Australia they are getting the cheap throw away imports........people buy them!:mad::eek:

That is the same everywhere...
The shame is people usually throw out a very well made older piece ... not realizing that they are replacing the older one with a 'temporary' new, not worth repairing one...

The older one would have been always worth repairing ... the replacement usually is never worth repairing ... But by the time that is discovered the original is long gone... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree that quality, older equipment is worth fixing.

Another reason to DIY: consider the time it takes to haul the equipment to the shop then fetch it when it's ready. Often, it would take me longer to do the transporting than to just fix the thing.

lizard

Threads
That is the same everywhere...
The shame is people usually throw out a very well made older piece ... not realizing that they are replacing the older one with a 'temporary' new, not worth repairing one...

The older one would have been always worth repairing ... the replacement usually is never worth repairing ... But by the time that is discovered the original is long gone... :smile:KennyV

Thats why you buy old gear...as long as you still get spare parts or make them.......they will see you out for Life!:cool:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thats why you buy old gear......they will see you out for Life!:cool:

That is very true...

and like Two-Stroke said... taking equipment in is very time consuming & generally is a second trip to retrieve and at times even more to get the rework done...

I will usually always do it myself, I'll know it's right... if it's something I am not familiar with I will become familiar with it so as to be able to do the job right... but then I am not on a time schedule and I enjoy most all things mechanical... :smile:KennyV