Is it safe to run Briggs & Stratton 5 hp engine without governor?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Is it safe to run Briggs & Stratton 5 hp engine without governor?
I will bet the moving linkage on the bottom of the tank is gone and the belcrank and linkage at the carb. Not an easy fix.

kinwin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, all the linkages and the spring that connects the governor lever to the throttle at the carburetor are all missing. That's much more than I'm willing to invest in right now, both money wise and time wise. Maybe in the future when somebody is throwing away their blown engine and I'm allowed to salvage the parts.
For now I have ordered the tachometer, as I think being able to read the rpm at all times is a good idea, no matter what. Once it arrives, I'll test it out the shredder on some yard trimmings that has been piling up. Hopefully it will serve it purpose as-is.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Should be OK with fresh trimmings and dry leaves
But any branch over 1/2" diameter will cause it to struggle sp will require a slow feed then wait till it builds up speed again the carry on.
Keep the blades really ( knife ) sharp .

kinwin

Forum Newbie
Threads
A quick update for those of you who are still following this thread. I hooked up the tachometer and fired up the engine, revved it to the max (bolted) position, it reaches roughly ~ 3000 rpm, but the real issue is extreme excessive vibrations. The whole chipper is jumping and moving around. Something is clearly not balanced. I opened up the covers to take a look at the impeller wheel, and found an abomination of a hack job. The previous owner had somehow managed to attache an incompatible blade on top of the original blade. Oh boy, this "free" project just got much more involved than I expected.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 9.57.32 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 9.57.32 AM.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 22

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome to the world of You Tube "fixes"
I have seen that hack decade ago when I started up and spent too much time on You Tube whatching idiots with less than 2 functioning brain cells making a mess of perfectly good machines .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like Wilbur AND Bubba did some work on it. Willing to be a 6 pack or two was involved.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the governor is still enact, you're gonna be lucky. Maybe he removed the sump and got all of that out.

I'm just wondering if that hole is going to seal now that a bigger bolt has been inserted.

Gord Baker

Threads
I recently got hold of a very hold and rusted chipper/shredder. It's a craftsman model# 247.797851, I believe from 1990.
Previous owner said it hasn't been used for years, but it did run fine before that. I cleaned the carburetor, replaced the spark plug and lo and behold the engine fired up.
However, this is when I noticed the engine has no governor. In the attached pictures, you can see where the governor rod is supposed to be, there is simply a bolt.
I figured the previous owner removed the governor on purpose and ran the engine by manually adjusting the throttle.
My only worry is, how do I know I'm not running at too high rpm? Is there an easy way to tell you are running at slow enough rpm to be safe?
You should have some idea of correct speed. Run it at 3/4 throttle. Be sure to check/change the oil.
If you do get parts since that bolt was threaded into the shaft hole, you will likely have an oil leak there.
Get a tach for small engines. Don't die rich.

mmoffitt

Threads
Everyone wants "miracles"....for free..."PRAY"...and it will be fixed!

Dreaded

Threads
Placing an rpm guage will allow you to run the engine at max rpm (this has to checked using a mechanical rpm gauge to insure the new guage is set and reading correctly) . This will give you more power and if it starts to bog down you can increase throttle for short period. This means it will be a two person operation. One person feeding and the other controling the carburetor.
I believe it would take only a couple hours work to repair this engine at a cost of less then 75$ for parts. The only things that have to be removed to repair this is; the engine from the frame, the pully from the crank shaft, the side cover, the govenor inside and the governor arm assembly. I have repaired several govenors in the past and since this one will not effect the timing because the cam does not have to be removed it makes it much simpler to repair. The parts circled in yellow need to be checked to see if they are there not damaged and/or replaced. The oil sealon the crank also needs to be replaced. If you should repair it.
1675531960352.png