Tires is it ok to add windshield washer antifreeze to my new cub cadet ltx 1042 kw tires?

lockum40

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / is it ok to add windshield washer antifreeze to my new cub cadet ltx 1042 kw tires?
Was wondering if it will hurt the hydro transmission to add ballast in the tires for traction to plow snow in my new Ltd 1042 kw for plowing light snow. Any advice?

Buckshot 1

Threads
  • / is it ok to add windshield washer antifreeze to my new cub cadet ltx 1042 kw tires?
Was wondering if it will hurt the hydro transmission to add ballast in the tires for traction to plow snow in my new Ltd 1042 kw for plowing light snow. Any advice?

:thumbsup: go for it, it will not hurt anything.

lockum40

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks anyway. I contacted the manufacturer and they recommended not filling the rear tires but adding chains and wheel weights. They said it is not a good idea to mow with the added weight in the tires as it would add stain on the transmission.

Buckshot 1

Threads
Thanks anyway. I contacted the manufacturer and they recommended not filling the rear tires but adding chains and wheel weights. They said it is not a good idea to mow with the added weight in the tires as it would add stain on the transmission.

:smile: You are Welcome. MTD's statement is kinda countradicting. Does not wheel weights and chains put a strain on the trans? The trans/tansaxle must be alum?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Buckshot, weights and chains come off during summer operation. Fluid would stay in all year round.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Windshield fluid? Just doesn't seem like it would add enough weight to do much of anything. How would you pump this into your tires? Would it do damage to the steel wheels and rubber tires in time? Just how many gallons do you think you could put into a tire? I weighed one gallon and I got 7.8 lbs. what makes it abought the weight of H20.

lockum40

Forum Newbie
Threads
The transmission in the ltx 1042 kw is die cast aluminum. I used to have a model 1811 cub cadet garden tractor which was built a lot heavier and the hydro could take the extra weight of the ballast in the tires. The ltx is more of a lawn tractor but I still will use it for snow, just not abuse it in heavy snow. I will go with the tire chains for now. Also, when I had my 1811, the dealer recommended windshield antifreeze for the tires as it wouldn't freeze and would not hurt the wheels or tires.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Best thing is to put antifreeze in as much as you can then with valve stem at to top hook a hose to it and fill with water then put the core back in and fill with air. You can buy a adaptor to hook the water hose to the valve.
As we all know antifreeze will not hurt the wheels or tires.

Keep the water and antifreeze in year round it will help you not to slide on hills

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Disagree, adding that type of extra weight all year round is going to shorten the life of that tranny very fast. How must stress is put on the tranny in winter as opposed to summer is very different. Different surface, winter normally hard and flat, summer soft and spongy. Different temps, runs hotter in summer with extra weight. If it's a hydro, big problem. Heavier weight in summer could easily put ruts in the lawn, particularly in the early part of the season. This is only my opinion, and many will say it ain't worth a darn, as I'm only a grease monkey and not a professional mechanic. Use what I post at your own risk.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I'd go with what the manufacturer recommended and what Rivets has told makes perfect sense.