Intek 21 HP engine wont start!!!

jmartin99

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just got my 21HP Intex engine rebuilt and put back together. After putting oil in it and turning on the fuel I attempted to fire it. Standing to the side of the mower I pushed the brake lever with my foot and turned the key. It started!! and ran great for 30 seconds....then died!!! I turned it over again and nothing!! Then I thought about it and it should have never started to begin with because I was not on the seat and there is a pressure switch in the seat that prevents it from running without someone sitting in the seat! So I got in the seat and nothing! It is actually backfiring through the carb now!!

I am positive I lined up the timing "dots" on the crank and the cam!

I pulled the plug and I have plenty of spark!

Any ideas what could be wrong?

HELP!!!!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My first guess is that the flywheel nut was not torqued properly. Now you have a sheared flywheel key. I would start there, pulling the flywheel and checking the key.

jmartin99

Forum Newbie
Threads
You nailed it!! The key was sheared.

Ok, what is the torque on the flywheel nut supposed to be? I will get another key tomorrow and hopefully have this thing running again!

Thanks!

Jeff

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two grunts & a groan.
If you are using normal hand tools you won't be able to overtorque it.
If you break the top off the crank, then let me know there is a place for you in the Mr Universe quest:laughing:

Around to 70-80 Ft/ lbs is where most go.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Without knowing your model number there was a few models that used a bolt for the flywheel, and I can't find it right now but seem to remember the torque was 75 lb/ft and the single cylinder intek engines with the nut have a torque of 100 lb/ft and the intek twins with a 1-1/4" nut is 150 lb/ft.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Two grunts & a groan.
If you are using normal hand tools you won't be able to overtorque it.
If you break the top off the crank, then let me know there is a place for you in the Mr Universe quest:laughing:

Around to 70-80 Ft/ lbs is where most go.

Sound like he didn't put the groan in after the two grunts :laughing:

Tinkerer200

Threads
Note there are two 21 hp B&S Intek engines with different specs.

Walt Conner

jmartin99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, so I replaced the flywheel key yesterday and it pops over with ether but will not run on gas. Is it possible the carb might have been damaged when it backfired?

I still have last years gas in it so I think I will drain it and put some fresh gas in it tonight.

Any other things I might try? Running out of ideas!

Thanks!!

Jeff

jmartin99

Forum Newbie
Threads
The thing is the first time I tried to start it when it sheared the key it ran great for 30 seconds without any ether!!

Jeff