Ignition Coil Gapping

Whalensdad

Threads
I have a CV-15 with a 12 584 04-S ignition coil. I've purchased 3 replacements but none of them mount so I can set a gapping of the width of a business card. All of the replacements end up with a gap of about 2 to 3 tenths of an inch (I didn't measure, just a guestimate). Is this something I should be concerned with or should I just give it a go and try with what I'm sent?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First need verify you are ordering the correct so what is the engine's spec number.

Normally the coils will go to zero clearance when mounted loose which is a hint that you have the wrong coils.

Whalensdad

Threads
Unfortunately I don't know the specs. There is no label plate on the engine. The best Kohler could tell me is that it is either a CV13 or CV15 based on the carburetor.

Whalensdad

Threads
So here is something interesting. I got the numbers off of the coil that was in it: 1A138-52-12. This appears to be an ignition coil for a Tecumsah and not a kohler. Now I'm scratching my head. I know the engine is a Kohler in a Craftsman LT1000 that replaced a B&S 17.5 HP Intec engine. Should I get another Tecumsah Ignition Coil or try the Kohler?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Compare these to the old coil.

Tecumseh 34443D on the left Kohler 12 584 04-S on the right
1666556198850.png1666556124627.png

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just drilling out the holes on the Kohler coil doesn’t mean the the curvature of the legs will match the curvature of the flywheel. Can you post a few pictures of the engine and the old coil, as we will have a better idea of what you are dealing with? Make sure we can see the entire engine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
After rereading this thread I’ve got more questions than answers. You’ve never told us why you want to replace the coil and what did you do to get to that point? The videos and info you are getting are not helping your cause, so you need to back up. First, the two coils are not interchangeable, the curvature on the legs and won’t work. Second, are you sure you mounted the old Kohler coil properly? If my brain still works, which is debatable at my age, I thought I remember that the spark plug wire should be next to the block, not away. If I’m wrong someone will correct me. Third, time to stop trying to save a nickel and go to your local repair shop, with the old coil in hand, and have them get you the correct coil. If you’ve been using a repair shop, find a new one.

Whalensdad

Threads
1. The coil that came out was a Tecumsah.
2. I'm replacing the coil because it is leaking spark from the wire.
3. I only mounted to show the gap. Yes it was mounted upside down.
4. There is nothing a shop will do differently. They will either use the Tecumsah, or modify a Kohler. I'm just trying to find out which I should do.