Export thread

Igition Coil Problem I believe?

V

VPalumbo

I have a Weed Eater WE-ONE 26-Inch 190cc Briggs & Stratton 875 Series mower that was given to me not long ago. I have been trying to get it running and I got it running good today. I started cutting grass and hit some long grass it bogged out and died. Now I can't seem to get it started again. It's getting fuel I can smell it but its not getting fire. So I pulled the ignition coil off and tested it on 20k ohm settings on my meter. It's showing 4.70-4.88 ohm setting. I know 2-5 ohms is suppose to be good but this one is pushing 5. Does that mean its the coil that is the problem? I can't see anything else that it might be when it was running great then just died and won't start again. I set the gap between the coil and the flywheel the thickness of a business card. Is there anything else I can try to pin point this problem?

reynoldston

reynoldston

You should get a good 1/4 of spark out of your coil or its bad. Just take a old spark plug and open the gap to 1/4 in +, hook it up to the secondary coil wire and ground the plug on the side of the block, then spin the engine over and see what you have for spark. If you have spark your coil is good.

M

Mikel1

So did you have a spark or not? Is spark plug fouled out?

V

VPalumbo

You should get a good 1/4 of spark out of your coil or its bad. Just take a old spark plug and open the gap to 1/4 in +, hook it up to the secondary coil wire and ground the plug on the side of the block, then spin the engine over and see what you have for spark. If you have spark your coil is good.

I've already done this with the spark plug that is in it and its not even sparking at all. I had the same issue the other day wasn't getting any spark. Then yesterday I pulled the coil off sanding down the connects where it touches the flywheel and put it back on and it ran good for a whole day. I went to mow grass yesterday evening and it cut out after about two rounds around my yard and I haven't gotten spark again since then. Which leads me to believe the coil is working sometimes and sometimes it isn't like its going out.

V

VPalumbo

I also should mention when I was having issues getting it running yesterday I unplugged the wire that connects to the bottom of the coil and it started right up and ran good. I don't remember exactly what that wire is for but having it disconnected made the engine run it wouldn't run at all with it plugged in. So I left it off and ran it for a day like that till it stopped working again. Now it won't start with it plugged in or with it unplugged.

B

bertsmobile1

The coil should not touch there should be a gap of .010" to ,020" between it and the flywheel.
The distance away from the flywheel determines the ignition timing , closer = more advance.
If it actually touches it will get too hot and cease to function.

BlazNT

BlazNT

I also should mention when I was having issues getting it running yesterday I unplugged the wire that connects to the bottom of the coil and it started right up and ran good. I don't remember exactly what that wire is for but having it disconnected made the engine run it wouldn't run at all with it plugged in. So I left it off and ran it for a day like that till it stopped working again. Now it won't start with it plugged in or with it unplugged.

What you disconnected is the safty switches and turn off with key wire. You need to check to make sure all your safety switches are in position.

V

VPalumbo

The coil should not touch there should be a gap of .010" to ,020" between it and the flywheel.
The distance away from the flywheel determines the ignition timing , closer = more advance.
If it actually touches it will get too hot and cease to function.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I used a business card to set the gap. It should be close enough. I'm still not getting any spark.

V

VPalumbo

What you disconnected is the safty switches and turn off with key wire. You need to check to make sure all your safety switches are in position.

I will trace the wires down and look into replacing or fixing the safety switches thanks for that info.

B

bertsmobile1

Check the wire carefully, particularly where it passed through a hole or is clipped onto the mower.
On push mowers it often chaffs and earths out.
Should only be 2 switches it goes too.

M

Mikel1

I don't remember exactly what that wire is for but having it disconnected made the engine run it wouldn't run at all with it plugged in. So I left it off and ran it for a day like that till it stopped working again. Now it won't start with it plugged in or with it unplugged.

If no spark with kill wire unplugged then you need a new coil.

V

VPalumbo

If no spark with kill wire unplugged then you need a new coil.

I can't seem to find the coil that is needed for this mower. I've searched and searched and can't seem to pin point an exact match. This coil I have here doesn't have any numbers or anything on it so no way to cross match it. The only stickers I can find on the whole mower are on the section under the seat showing the model number and serial for the mower itself but nothing on the motor that I can see. It says on the top its a 875 series. That's all I know about it.

M

Mikel1

It appears links are still not working here, copy or goggle the info below:

briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/faqs/engine-codes-model-numbers

BlazNT

BlazNT

Model number for the mower is?

V

VPalumbo

Model number for the mower is?

Model Number: we261
Product Number: 960220007

BlazNT

BlazNT

I found a couple coils for thay mower but engine numbers are needed to get the correct one. Engine number is under the engine shroud. Remove to find number. 2 screws from what I can tell.

V

VPalumbo

Check the wire carefully, particularly where it passed through a hole or is clipped onto the mower.
On push mowers it often chaffs and earths out.
Should only be 2 switches it goes too.

I Just checked it earlier and it only goes to one switch. It doesn't pass through any holes and there is nothing wrong with the wire it looks great. It goes from the coil down to the quick connector then from there it runs down to a switch that is connected to the frame. The little push button goes downward and as far as I can see it has to do with the clutch or the brake. When I push the brake down I believe it pushes or releases the button its kind of hard to tell which. The button is in the correct place on the frame I was able to check that. It doesn't look out of place it looks like its mounted where it suppose to go.

V

VPalumbo

I found a couple coils for thay mower but engine numbers are needed to get the correct one. Engine number is under the engine shroud. Remove to find number. 2 screws from what I can tell.

There aren't any numbers on the engine that I am able to find. I've already removed the cover to get to the coil. I've looked on top and under the cover. I've even looked underneath the cover on the back side. There are no tags on this motor. I've looked ever where. That's the issue I am having if I can't find a number I don't know how to get the correct coil.

Here are 3 pictures I have taken to show you want I mean.

ul0jc.jpg

zMjvc.jpg

Fpv5e.jpg

Here is also two pictures of the coil if this helps any?

3Agph.jpg

TUkEh.jpg

V

VPalumbo

I was able to get on the phone with Weed Eater and get them to search for it took a while for them to even find it but the coil they say I need is the 796499. Thanks everyone for the help when I get the new coil I'll leave an update.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Put a cover over it if yo are going to leave it outside.

V

VPalumbo

Put a cover over it if yo are going to leave it outside.

I need to get a pull rope assembly for it but I can't figure out the name of the piece that is missing. I'd like to have the pull rope for backup.