Repairs Igition Coil Problem I believe?

VPalumbo

Threads
I have a Weed Eater WE-ONE 26-Inch 190cc Briggs & Stratton 875 Series mower that was given to me not long ago. I have been trying to get it running and I got it running good today. I started cutting grass and hit some long grass it bogged out and died. Now I can't seem to get it started again. It's getting fuel I can smell it but its not getting fire. So I pulled the ignition coil off and tested it on 20k ohm settings on my meter. It's showing 4.70-4.88 ohm setting. I know 2-5 ohms is suppose to be good but this one is pushing 5. Does that mean its the coil that is the problem? I can't see anything else that it might be when it was running great then just died and won't start again. I set the gap between the coil and the flywheel the thickness of a business card. Is there anything else I can try to pin point this problem?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should get a good 1/4 of spark out of your coil or its bad. Just take a old spark plug and open the gap to 1/4 in +, hook it up to the secondary coil wire and ground the plug on the side of the block, then spin the engine over and see what you have for spark. If you have spark your coil is good.

Mikel1

Threads
So did you have a spark or not? Is spark plug fouled out?

VPalumbo

Threads
You should get a good 1/4 of spark out of your coil or its bad. Just take a old spark plug and open the gap to 1/4 in +, hook it up to the secondary coil wire and ground the plug on the side of the block, then spin the engine over and see what you have for spark. If you have spark your coil is good.

I've already done this with the spark plug that is in it and its not even sparking at all. I had the same issue the other day wasn't getting any spark. Then yesterday I pulled the coil off sanding down the connects where it touches the flywheel and put it back on and it ran good for a whole day. I went to mow grass yesterday evening and it cut out after about two rounds around my yard and I haven't gotten spark again since then. Which leads me to believe the coil is working sometimes and sometimes it isn't like its going out.

VPalumbo

Threads
I also should mention when I was having issues getting it running yesterday I unplugged the wire that connects to the bottom of the coil and it started right up and ran good. I don't remember exactly what that wire is for but having it disconnected made the engine run it wouldn't run at all with it plugged in. So I left it off and ran it for a day like that till it stopped working again. Now it won't start with it plugged in or with it unplugged.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The coil should not touch there should be a gap of .010" to ,020" between it and the flywheel.
The distance away from the flywheel determines the ignition timing , closer = more advance.
If it actually touches it will get too hot and cease to function.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I also should mention when I was having issues getting it running yesterday I unplugged the wire that connects to the bottom of the coil and it started right up and ran good. I don't remember exactly what that wire is for but having it disconnected made the engine run it wouldn't run at all with it plugged in. So I left it off and ran it for a day like that till it stopped working again. Now it won't start with it plugged in or with it unplugged.

What you disconnected is the safty switches and turn off with key wire. You need to check to make sure all your safety switches are in position.

VPalumbo

Threads
The coil should not touch there should be a gap of .010" to ,020" between it and the flywheel.
The distance away from the flywheel determines the ignition timing , closer = more advance.
If it actually touches it will get too hot and cease to function.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I used a business card to set the gap. It should be close enough. I'm still not getting any spark.

VPalumbo

Threads
What you disconnected is the safty switches and turn off with key wire. You need to check to make sure all your safety switches are in position.

I will trace the wires down and look into replacing or fixing the safety switches thanks for that info.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the wire carefully, particularly where it passed through a hole or is clipped onto the mower.
On push mowers it often chaffs and earths out.
Should only be 2 switches it goes too.