I have $1300, an acre, and a trailer.

D35

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys. Been doing a lot of reading, searching, etc. I am looking to buy a new riding mower. I've got $1300 (really can't go much higher), an acre of gently sloped land, a trailer (350lb empty, 1500lb rating), and leaf problem.

So if you were in my situation, what would you recommend? I mow once a week, but I will be using this for moving that trailer around every now and then, and clearing/chopping/bagging leaves, so it's important it have that feature. I get the feeling that $1300 won't get me top of the line. What kind of reliability/longevity can I expect? I do take care of my belongings, and have a good enclosed place to keep it, so let's assume best case scenario as far as the mower's care goes.

Also, I've been seeing a couple things over and over. 1, stay away from MTD, and 2, stay away from big box (Lowe's, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc.). Can someone expand on that a little bit as to why people don't like the mowers at the BB stores? Is it quality? Warranty?

EDIT - And if any of this is in the FAQ's, let me know. I looked at them, but I did kind of skim.

Any help is appreciated! I searched through the

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

as you have likely discovered... You will not find much for $1300 new.
It is the end of the season, so you might find some close out deals.
You might also look at used equipment, as you are likely going to find much better, but older yard tractors in your price range.
Most of those that do not like "box store" mowers, really just don't like low end mowers... and add in the inconvenience of trying to find warranty work locations leaves the dislike statements....
Look for good used machines... :smile:KennyV

Threads
Yeah, it won't buy you top-of-the-line, but as KennyV said, look used. The reason you shouldn't get it from Lowe's or Home Depot is that they are nothing like a dealer. Instead of saying the negatives of a big-box store, let me say the positives of a dealer:
  • Your mower can be fixed at the dealer.
  • The people at the dealer know more about the mower they are selling.
  • Some say it is higher quality, I don't know.
  • It might be cheaper at a big-box store, but you will pay for it with repairs!!
  • YOU GET THE POINT.....LOOK AT A DEALER!!
For your price you might be able to get a "commericial" lawn tractor for the price of a residential model.
:welcome: to LMF!!

slammed

Threads
Well as others said the bb stores sale the low end models and they don't service what they sale. If you buy one from them and take it home and something is not right they most of the time will tell you that is your problem now. It has happed to me and never again will I buy from a bb store.

D35

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Now if I were to be looking at new (I will certainly look at used as well), what would be a good way to go for something with decent enough reliability?

Threads

Now if I were to be looking at new (I will certainly look at used as well), what would be a good way to go for something with decent enough reliability?

I am just going to say the good brands disregarding your $1300 budget. Some good brands include Husqvarna, Kubota, John Deere, and Cub Cadet...just to name a few. Lots of people are going to say "I had trouble with my ______" or I didn't like my _______", but it all depends how often you use it and if you maintain it. Some other good brands include Snapper and Simplicity, and Craftsman. There are not that many BAD brands, it just depends what you do with them, like I said earlier in the post.
Tell us what you think!
-lmf:smile:

slammed

Threads

What I do is a quick look on the net to see some feedbacks on what I am looking at. And if you find something you can always ask us.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey guys. Been doing a lot of reading, searching, etc. I am looking to buy a new riding mower. I've got $1300 (really can't go much higher), an acre of gently sloped land, a trailer (350lb empty, 1500lb rating), and leaf problem.

So if you were in my situation, what would you recommend? I mow once a week, but I will be using this for moving that trailer around every now and then, and clearing/chopping/bagging leaves, so it's important it have that feature. I get the feeling that $1300 won't get me top of the line. What kind of reliability/longevity can I expect? I do take care of my belongings, and have a good enclosed place to keep it, so let's assume best case scenario as far as the mower's care goes.

Also, I've been seeing a couple things over and over. 1, stay away from MTD, and 2, stay away from big box (Lowe's, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc.). Can someone expand on that a little bit as to why people don't like the mowers at the BB stores? Is it quality? Warranty?

EDIT - And if any of this is in the FAQ's, let me know. I looked at them, but I did kind of skim.

Any help is appreciated! I searched through the
D35,
I, like most users, normally discourage the BB store purchases, but with you mowing weekly(I assume North Carolina has a similar "mowing season" to TN) 1 acre.....you may be OK with a "residential mower". Also, with your budget, you may be better off with a BB new mower than a used one. Before I bought my "retirement investment" commercial ZTR, I had a Sears Craftsman 54" lawn Tractor(actually made by Husqvarna) and I paid $1,800 for it on sale(regulary $2,000) in 2006. For 6 years it actually performed pretty well and now my son has it and I would expect it to last at least another 6 years if he takes as good of care of it as I did. The ONLY problem I had with it was just after the engine warranty expired the screws vibrated out of the choke inside the carbuerator throat and fortunately for me went into the combustion chamber and out the exhaust without damaging the engine's cylinders or rings. The result was that I had to "prime" the mower with starter fluid everytime I used it, but my father-in-law repaired it for my son before we gave it to him(a repair shop wanted $200 and I just opeed for the starter fluid). So, other than that it was a fairly decent investment and you would probably fare as well with a similar Craftsman new lawn tractor.

possum

Threads
I think you will have a hard time finding a dependable high quality riding mower that can bag leaves pull a trailer and mow an acre once a week for 1300 bucks. About any lawntractor will mow the grass but then so will about any regular lawnmower. Leaves can be picked up with a rake and hauled off in some trash containers or bags, or mow them into dust and leave them or pick them up afterwards. A regular lawnmower will bag up or mulch up an incredible amount of leaves in one day. Any lawntractor will grind them up with repeated mow overs or pile them up in rows for you to pick up. I think you are wanting to much for just 1300 bucks.