Export thread

I HAD TO MOW IN THE RAIN

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Well the past few days have been interesting. I was behind on lawns this week, so I was planning on mowing a lot Friday and Saturday, but lets just say the weather forecast wasn't ideal! It was supposed to rain both days. But I had to get it done. So on Friday, I set out mowing after it rained for a brief time, and it then started raining while I was out at the lawns. I knew it was going to be wet, so I decided to bag. Being that my mower is great at mulching (I regularly mow when the grass has dew on it), I might have been able to mulch, but bagging was more worry-free. I brought a trash can with me, and filled it with the grass. It cut great!

It rained all night, and then I went out to cut as soon as the rain stopped on Saturday. I did the same thing. Attached are some of the pictures from the lawns I mowed Saturday and also my trailer setup when I brought the trash can with me. (Note that this is my setup for when I stay in the neighborhood. When I go out of the neighborhood YES I strap my equipment down better.) I was honestly amazed at how well my mower performed. Bagging the grass was a hastle, but now I know if I ever need to mow when it's raining, I can. Look at the pictures....I think the lawns turned out really nice! :thumbsup: I have to mow today, but I'm going back to mulching the clippings since it is drier today. But now I have a whole trailer-full of grass clippings I have to take to the local farm to dispose of. :rolleyes:

trailer 1.jpg

lawn 1.jpg

lawn 2.jpg

B

Blaine B.

How do you get away with such a small garbage can?

If I bag my yard I can end up over filling a 90 gallon can.

exotion

exotion

Nice set up there. :)

X-man

X-man

I love the looks that I get when people see me mowing in the pouring rain.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

How do you get away with such a small garbage can?

If I bag my yard I can end up over filling a 90 gallon can.

This was a small lawn, plus I packed the grass in super tight! In a few of the lawns I did those 2 days I couldn't fit it all in the can. I'm back to mulching now, and just dropped the grass off at the local farm this morning. $10 down the drain.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I love the looks that I get when people see me mowing in the pouring rain.

Same!! :confused2:

M

mowerguy

$10 to dump? Sounds like you don't do it very often but seems there could be a better solution. Maybe a compost pile. I live next to a woods and if it's not too much I will dispose of it there. If I have large quantities I have found a guy out in the country looking to fill in a reviene in a woods and he lets me dump there.

exotion

exotion

My whole truck stuffed is only 10$ lol

Ric

Ric

This was a small lawn, plus I packed the grass in super tight! In a few of the lawns I did those 2 days I couldn't fit it all in the can. I'm back to mulching now, and just dropped the grass off at the local farm this morning. $10 down the drain.

Why don't you just bag the grass and put it out for the trash guys? That's what I do. It doesn't cost me or anyone anything to dispose yard debris at the dump but I figure if the Trash guys will pick it up why waste the gas going to the dump.

L

LoCo86

Why don't you just bag the grass and put it out for the trash guys? That's what I do. It doesn't cost me or anyone anything to dispose yard debris at the dump but I figure if the Trash guys will pick it up why waste the gas going to the dump.

The reason I take mine away from the property is because after a day in the trash bag it smells something awful and no one wants that.

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

The reason I take mine away from the property is because after a day in the trash bag it smells something awful and no one wants that.

I just spread lawn debris out back on the outer edge of my hay field next to the bean field. if you're paying $10 per trash can I'll spread it out there for you. when we're doing leaves I try to leave them on their curb if city pick up is available, if not we just dump them in the dump trailer. then dump them out back the same as grass clippings.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

$10 to dump? Sounds like you don't do it very often but seems there could be a better solution. Maybe a compost pile. I live next to a woods and if it's not too much I will dispose of it there. If I have large quantities I have found a guy out in the country looking to fill in a reviene in a woods and he lets me dump there.

My whole truck stuffed is only 10$ lol

This was the first time I have ever done that. It is not a regular thing by any means. I mulch 6 months out of the year, and dump the leaves at the curb for pickup the other 2 months. That was an extreme situation that I had to pay to dump it.

X-man

X-man

Did a leaf removal job yesterday... in the rain.

ForumRunner_20141112_083427.png

Ric

Ric

I don't bag grass that often and I never bag leaves, don't have any to speak of. It's better for the lawn if you mulch grass and leave the nutrients for the soil. If I should for some reason have to bag I don't leave the debris at the clients, I bring it to my place and set it out for the trash guys, we have two pick ups a week so it doesn't sit to long.

X-man

X-man

I don't bag grass that often and I never bag leaves, don't have any to speak of. It's better for the lawn if you mulch grass and leave the nutrients for the soil. If I should for some reason have to bag I don't leave the debris at the clients, I bring it to my place and set it out for the trash guys, we have two pick ups a week so it doesn't sit to long.

My trailer park has a compost pile so I dump everything there.

exotion

exotion

I wish I could never bag leaves up here they get about a foot deep throughout the whole yard. I run over them without the bag and then again with the bag picks up most of the bits and the debris takes up less space in my truck. Then I take it to the city dump we can't leave it for the trash guys. I usually pay between $10-$20 a truck load depending on weight

Ric

Ric

I wish I could never bag leaves up here they get about a foot deep throughout the whole yard. I run over them without the bag and then again with the bag picks up most of the bits and the debris takes up less space in my truck. Then I take it to the city dump we can't leave it for the trash guys. I usually pay between $10-$20 a truck load depending on weight

I can't believe they charge you for lawn debris, we can take any lawn debris including palms, tree branches old plants anything from our yards to the dump and it's free or we can just bag it and leave it for the trash guys for pick up. I'm glad I don't live up north.

L

LoCo86

I can't believe they charge you for lawn debris, we can take any lawn debris including palms, tree branches old plants anything from our yards to the dump and it's free or we can just bag it and leave it for the trash guys for pick up. I'm glad I don't live up north.

Our trash guys don't care if there is a dead body at the curb as long as it's in a trash bag.

Carscw

Carscw

Anything I have to haul off comes home and goes into the burn pile.

exotion

exotion

Unfortunately, however I do keep an eye out on Craigslist for farmers seeking compost material. I save a lot of money giving it to those guys

J

jamie11

Well the past few days have been interesting. I was behind on lawns this week, so I was planning on mowing a lot Friday and Saturday, but lets just say the weather forecast wasn't ideal! It was supposed to rain both days. But I had to get it done. So on Friday, I set out mowing after it rained for a brief time, and it then started raining while I was out at the lawns. I knew it was going to be wet, so I decided to bag. Being that my mower is great at mulching (I regularly mow when the grass has dew on it), I might have been able to mulch, but bagging was more worry-free. I brought a trash can with me, and filled it with the grass. It cut great!

It rained all night, and then I went out to cut as soon as the rain stopped on Saturday. I did the same thing. Attached are some of the pictures from the lawns I mowed Saturday and also my trailer setup when I brought the trash can with me. (Note that this is my setup for when I stay in the neighborhood. When I go out of the neighborhood YES I strap my equipment down better.) I was honestly amazed at how well my mower performed. Bagging the grass was a hastle, but now I know if I ever need to mow when it's raining, I can. Look at the pictures....I think the lawns turned out really nice! :thumbsup: I have to mow today, but I'm going back to mulching the clippings since it is drier today. But now I have a whole trailer-full of grass clippings I have to take to the local farm to dispose of. :rolleyes:

View attachment 23600

View attachment 23601

View attachment 23602

I do not think it痴 good for your plants to be mowed while wet. Wet grass may stick and amass to the mower blades making it dull and cut inefficiently. That can also slow down the rotation of blades, again, decreasing efficient cutting. In some cases when grass roots are soaked and your mower has heavily pushed the grounds, ruts may be formed.