Export thread

I can't believe I said No Thanks

Ric

Ric

I was out doing a few of my lawns this morning, I was mowing with the Cub Cadet and the wife was on the Toro and we were mowing two one acre lots. I was approached by an individual about trimming some hedges around the corner from where we were and I said fine and I'd be there when we finished mowing the two we had started. I got to the house to find four guys unloading a Craftsmen riding lawnmower out of the back of a Chevy pickup. Now that in itself doesn't seem to strange but when you see four guys lifting this lawn tractor out of the back of a truck by hand it makes one wonder a bit but my wondering about these guys stopped when they tied the side discharge chute up and commenced to discharge the grass towards the house and the pool enclosure and filled every flower bed on the property with grass, needless to say I finished hedges and the guy paid me. He asked me if I needed anymore work and I said it depends on where and what it was. The guy offered me a monthly gig at $1250 a month to mow a school he had the contract on I couldn't believe I said no thanks. How ever I did pick up the three lawns that the guys with the Craftsmen were doing starting next week.:thumbsup:

Carscw

Carscw

I can understand them with a mower in the back of a truck. But to just do a bad job and not take any pride in their work So glad you took some yards from them they gives us all a bad name.

You just proved that doing a good job pays off.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

exotion

exotion

I agree wow I'm surprised they keep customers that way.

Quantinty should never outweigh quality

D

DaveTN

I can see where they might be a one time deal with most customrs. Or they may have customers who don't care which way the grass flies. I'd think a small trailer for a couple hundred bucks would save wear and tear on 4 guy's back lugging on that Craftsman! You guys don't have to worry about me taking your yards I'm too lazy to mow and can't take the heat~~~ ~~~ ~ I'd rather twist wrenches and bust knuckles!

exotion

exotion

I can see where they might be a one time deal with most customrs. Or they may have customers who don't care which way the grass flies. I'd think a small trailer for a couple hundred bucks would save wear and tear on 4 guy's back lugging on that Craftsman! You guys don't have to worry about me taking your yards I'm too lazy to mow and can't take the heat~~~ ~~~ ~ I'd rather twist wrenches and bust knuckles!

If I hired someone to mow came home to grass everywhere I would refuse to pay them untill they came to finish the job and clean it up. I would never hire them again and start telling everyone I knew

Carscw

Carscw

Your right a lot of people just don't care how it's cut. I do a yard next to a guy that has the best looking grass in the neighborhood he keeps it cut nice but the beds the driveway walkway and the street stay covered in clippings.

Ric

Ric

The thing is and I know I got some people fired up the other day with the Toyota pickup crack but I honestly see this kinda thing all the time, I know of at least two other outfits that carry tractors and equipment in the back of the pickups although they at least use ramps to unload. I really don't care how they move there stuff from one place to another but lifting the craftsmen out of the truck by hand was a little extreme. They had three guys mowing this place the guy on the craftsmen, another with a Murray push mower and the other had a craftsmen push mower, so you can just imagine what things looked when they finished. That's the thing, the finished product and what it says about the rest of us and the industry. Like exotion said I would refuse to pay them untill they came to finish the job and clean it up.

Ric

Ric

Your right a lot of people just don't care how it's cut. I do a yard next to a guy that has the best looking grass in the neighborhood he keeps it cut nice but the beds the driveway walkway and the street stay covered in clippings.

I don't know about things where you are but if we leave clippings in the road here, it can cost us a $500 fine if were caught.

exotion

exotion

The thing is and I know I got some people fired up the other day with the Toyota pickup crack but I honestly see this kinda thing all the time, I know of at least two other outfits that carry tractors and equipment in the back of the pickups although they at least use ramps to unload. I really don't care how they move there stuff from one place to another but lifting the craftsmen out of the truck by hand was a little extreme. They had three guys mowing this place the guy on the craftsmen, another with a Murray push mower and the other had a craftsmen push mower, so you can just imagine what things looked when they finished. That's the thing, the finished product and what it says about the rest of us and the industry. Like exotion said I would refuse to pay them untill they came to finish the job and clean it up.

See there we go. Last year every day I loaded up my equipment in the back of my truck my 21 toro echo weed eater and leaf blower. 2 gas cans a bucket. This doesn't look the best pulling up but my standard of quality and the careful maintence on my equipment allowed me to keep my customers.

The year before that I started with a crapsman front wheel drive a featherlite weedeater and a weed eater brand blower. Loaded in the back of my jeep cherokee. Getting people to trust me was difficult but once they saw my work they never had anything bad to say I still have all my customers from my jeep days.

Quality over quantinty my standard of quality is way above most people at a cost that's lower than most this has allowed me to gain a massive customer base in just 3 years. I enjoy watching people like you saw work its just spectacular that they even stay in business.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I don't know about things where you are but if we leave clippings in the road here, it can cost us a $500 fine if were caught.

You are not supposed to do it here, but no one ever gets fined. :rolleyes:

Carscw

Carscw

Yeah it's the law but I don't know who would give out the fine. I would think the HMO would get on him

exotion

exotion

Yeah it's the law but I don't know who would give out the fine. I would think the HMO would get on him

I have gotten threats before when I work for a different company. I was edging a long edge and a lot of cars were parked there I did my best but some got in the street a cop actually came and threatened a ticket so I left the curb dirty and told my boss. Lol

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

I run into these clowns from time to time. I'm not casting stones at the guys that are getting a start and putting out quality work with crap tools i respect those guys everyone starts somewhere. I can't stand the guys that wake up one day decide they want to make a few bucks and mow for a week working out of their station wagon or whatever. They are typically low ballers as well, which is another subject. We are focused on high end neighborhoods so rarely see one in our areas but i wish i could tell them to leave the area when i do. We just end up having to fix whatever they do anyway and explain our rates because the other guy was way cheaper. It doesn't make any sense.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

That has happened to me also!

A University Campus wanted my services! They sent me the 18 pages contract! I said no. The reason why I said no, is Because I would of needed atleast two guys with my, a big commercial trailer with tractor, two gas trimmers, two gas back pack blowers and a bigger truck to pull all of that. I even talked about it with some very big business men and they said no also. It was too big and too soon for me! Non the less, I only had two weeks left before the contract started to get all the equipment, the loan and the 1 000 000$ insurance that I needed. I wouldn't have time for all of that nor the money! Instead, I got many residential contracts this year and I am very happy with that.:smile:

By the way, it was many many acres of grass. I would of had to mowed around a soccer field, appartments, more appartments, huge parking lots, another building and much more! There was so much grass there that I would be there for days!

For the snoopy ones, it would have 10 000$ for one year. It was about that. But, I would lost all of that in equipment and my company would of gone bad, because of all the time it would take. Still makes me jealous to see the other company take care of the lawn.

OldMasterTech

OldMasterTech

That has happened to me also!

A University Campus wanted my services! They sent me the 18 pages contract! I said no. The reason why I said no, is Because I would of needed atleast two guys with my, a big commercial trailer with tractor, two gas trimmers, two gas back pack blowers and a bigger truck to pull all of that. I even talked about it with some very big business men and they said no also. It was too big and too soon for me! Non the less, I only had two weeks left before the contract started to get all the equipment, the loan and the 1 000 000$ insurance that I needed. I wouldn't have time for all of that nor the money! Instead, I got many residential contracts this year and I am very happy with that.:smile:

By the way, it was many many acres of grass. I would of had to mowed around a soccer field, appartments, more appartments, huge parking lots, another building and much more! There was so much grass there that I would be there for days!

For the snoopy ones, it would have 10 000$ for one year. It was about that. But, I would lost all of that in equipment and my company would of gone bad, because of all the time it would take. Still makes me jealous to see the other company take care of the lawn.

Don't be jealous, you are safer with many small customers than with that one large account. Remember, if you lose one client now you just replace him, if you lose that large account you're unemployed!

jekjr

jekjr

I wish I could pick up a few more that had acres to mow. I like to mow big ones and stay in one place instead of moving several times. Many times several small yards here will pay more than one big one

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Don't be jealous, you are safer with many small customers than with that one large account. Remember, if you lose one client now you just replace him, if you lose that large account you're unemployed!

That is very true! I am glad now that I don't have this contract! It would of been stressfull! It even stated that if the job was not done right the contractor would have to repay the contract so that the University finds another company. Let's just say that is nasty!