Hydro-Gear ZT 3100, 150 hours, service done at 75 hours. Right side is much slower. Tried to adjust, no luck.

clubairth

Threads
  • / Hydro-Gear ZT 3100, 150 hours, service done at 75 hours. Right side is much slower. Tried to adjust, no luck.
ILengine Thanks for the help!

We received the parts but it looks like Hydro-Gear changed the brake mechanism and the center section is different and won't work for our Hydro?
Old one in back with the loop. New one in front with just a block?

Brake Difference in Casting.jpg

Here is the back side of the center section giving a different view of the brake setup.

Brake Difference in Casting1.jpg

We noticed that the original was marked with an R1 and the new one marked with R8? Perhaps revision numbers? Hard to see the R1 on the original. Also notice the R8 version has a machined round hole with a channel just above the R8. On the original the round hole is just a rough casting with no channel?

Casting with R8 and R1.jpg

Even the piston pump is different because of the brake pawl change. The new one has channels machined in the body (Inside the plastic bag) for the brake pawl to engage. The original one is smooth with no cut outs?

Piston Pump Differences-Brakes.jpg

Casting numbers might help? Here is the new part.

New Casting Part Number.jpg

Here is the original part. It's in a different spot too?

Old Casting Part Number.jpg

The rubber/plastic covers on the center section seem to be different?
Here is a comparison. New ones are flush with the surface but the old ones stick up somewhat?

Cover Stick Up Differences.jpg

No problem sending the parts back but we are unsure what to order next?
Any help?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Hydro-Gear ZT 3100, 150 hours, service done at 75 hours. Right side is much slower. Tried to adjust, no luck.
Startech I am helping a friend and we are looking for a replacement ZT-3200 #ZL-GCEE-1K5A-1EXX.
Right wheel motor for a old Hustler Mini-Z Model #06050615.
Thanks for your quick and expert reply. That is expensive but probably the best way to go for a home guy. Looking at the number I see ZL-GCEE-3K5A-1NXX? Maybe a typo SK5A?

Sorry one more question? Do you have a preferred supplier? One you have dealt with before?
OK here is the qlitch. The number that you listed in the first quoted post falls under the brake center section improvement and in those cases the entire unit has to be replaced. The parts numbers I listed are for the second quoted post

clubairth

Threads
Wow complete replacement only for that style of braking system then?
OK so many details!
Thanks again for your detailed answers. Not what we wanted to hear but that's the breaks. So to speak!!

clubairth

Threads
ILengine or Startech where do you recommend to buy a complete unit?
From what's been posted we need part ZL-GCEE-3K5A-1NXX?

Looking at that number I find a superseded one? Is that correct? It's the part number Startech posted up thread as the superseded number.
ZL-GCEE-SK5A-1NXX

ZT-3100 Hydro

Just double checking so I don't order the wrong thing. We do have a local lawn mower shop who is a Hydro-Gear dealer but talking to him does give me any confidence? Not sure he even knows what he is doing? They just want to sell new machines and have little interest in support or service? So very hesitant to have them do the work warranty or no warranty?

Another big problem using the dealer is transportation as the mower has the hydro removed and it was locked anyway so very difficult to move the mower on to the trailer. Need a fork lift to load it!

I think if we DIY it the results will be better.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks like then ZL-GCEE-1K5A-1EXX and the ZL-GCEE-3K5A-1NXX are both superceding to the ZL-GCEE-SK5A-1NXX

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mulligans have always been my go to for transmission problems .
Make sure you have all of the machine & transmission numbers at hand when you ring them
They take a long time to answer the phone but have always been honest and one can not ask for more than that .

clubairth

Threads
Thanks much as I was unaware of Mulligans!