hustler raptor sd 54 modifications

1slow5point0h

Threads
I forgot my tensioner spring did pop off twice one day. Talk about a pain when all I had with me was a pair of pliers. Not fun.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sweet,,mine had a small leak out the left side brake shaft seal,,after I changed the hydro oil to Mobile 1 it went away for some weird reason...lol..I have 65 hours on mine and only had a tension spring fail..at end of season Im going to bring it to the dealer and have them check that o-ring and or replace it on the left side hydro. Yeah its a great mower,,but for less $$ I am going to get the Bobcat CRZ next time,,you cant beat that mower for the price,,thicker deck,better seat,Kawasaki FR,and same hydros...plus 5 year 500 hour warranty,, hands down you cant beat that!!!

The bobcat is a good mower. All but the Kawasaki engine. The kohlor with 2 less hp has more usable power. And use almost half the gas per hour.

577jersey

Threads
The bobcat is a good mower. All but the Kawasaki engine. The kohlor with 2 less hp has more usable power. And use almost half the gas per hour.
Yeah,the 7K series is slowly finding a spot to my heart,,but I always was and always will be a kawi guy...just love the way they sound...I really did like the older commands back in the 90s..had a few with the hydro lifters..little noisy at times but a good over all motor,,made me alot of $$.

My FR is pretty good on fuel,,I can cut 6 acres of well maintained grass on hilly terrain and use less than 3 gallons.
Ive been through really high wet stuff 15" plus and the FR never even bogs down,just powers through it man...sounds like a harley on roids.

Last edited:

577jersey

Threads
I forgot my tensioner spring did pop off twice one day. Talk about a pain when all I had with me was a pair of pliers. Not fun.
Yeah mine snapped and the belt got cut up from the spindle mount bolts,,I luckily had a shorter spring in my tool box that I hooked an S hook to make it longer,,then used a pair of vise grips to pull it across and hook it up...I slipped a time or two and cut my finger pretty bad,it worked to get the job done,,I since then made a nice spring hook tool out of an old BIG flathead driver,I ground it to a point then heated it up and bent a tight half loop in the end,,I wont be slipping anymore...it was a bad day,,we have those once in a while.

1slow5point0h

Threads
Yeah mine snapped and the belt got cut up from the spindle mount bolts,,I luckily had a shorter spring in my tool box that I hooked an S hook to make it longer,,then used a pair of vise grips to pull it across and hook it up...I slipped a time or two and cut my finger pretty bad,it worked to get the job done,,I since then made a nice spring hook tool out of an old BIG flathead driver,I ground it to a point then heated it up and bent a tight half loop in the end,,I wont be slipping anymore...it was a bad day,,we have those once in a while.

I took a nice chunk of skin off a finger too. Bled like a stuck hog. Now I carry the spring puller tool that came with my daughters trampoline with me. I figure it might just work pretty good if ever needed again. I've thought about crimping that spring down a bit on the loop that it attaches to and on the pulley bracket too.

577jersey

Threads
I took a nice chunk of skin off a finger too. Bled like a stuck hog. Now I carry the spring puller tool that came with my daughters trampoline with me. I figure it might just work pretty good if ever needed again. I've thought about crimping that spring down a bit on the loop that it attaches to and on the pulley bracket too.
Yeah Im surprised yours just fell off the anchor points,,the tensioner must have really been rockin and rollin for that too happen...I dont like the anchor points on the RSD either,,they are kinda thin,,if they ever break I will just weld a nice heavy hook to the deck and tensioner plate.I dont like the tensioner design on the mower,funny how the tensioner slide rides on plastic or teflon,,I guess It will hold up ok cause its a straight pull..thats one thing I would have changed if I was the designer,,would be better off with a single greasable brass bushing with idler on a pivot with a spring,like Bobcat has.They last forever!!

Hey,,you do know that trampoline springs will work for a replacement..I forget the actual length,,think its like 6 or 7" for the spring.I have a Hustler spring on there now and don’t trust it as far as I can throw it lol.

Pumper54

Threads
577jersey,

And I thought I was reading an echo there for a minute. LOL
Tom

577jersey

Threads
There we got her all straightened out now...my error I guess...lol

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah,the 7K series is slowly finding a spot to my heart,,but I always was and always will be a kawi guy...just love the way they sound...I really did like the older commands back in the 90s..had a few with the hydro lifters..little noisy at times but a good over all motor,,made me alot of $$. My FR is pretty good on fuel,,I can cut 6 acres of well maintained grass on hilly terrain and use less than 3 gallons. Ive been through really high wet stuff 15" plus and the FR never even bogs down,just powers through it man...sounds like a harley on roids.

I love my kohlor's with the hydro lifters.

1slow5point0h

Threads
Are the flex forks really worth the investment? I cut a little bit of uneven terrain and one steep ditch, a good 45* or better in places. I usually mow up and down that ditch, but even going long ways I don't tend to slide. It holds its own pretty straight. Is the ride that much better? I think mine rides fairly well with the stock forks but am always looking to improve things.