hustler fastrac 44''

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
hi I have a hustler fastrac 44'' and it had a honda 18hp on it. the engine was no good when i got it and i happended to have a briggs and stratton handy. I have it monted but need help wireing it .....any ideas thx

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not a big problem.
The single wire from the coil will hook up with the same wire that went to the coil on the honda.
That bit is easy and at a minimum will be enough to get the mower running, till the battery goes flat.
After that it is just the alternator and for that we will need to know which alternator your engine has fitted
View attachment Alternator types.pdf

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
the engine was off when i got it so i don't have any way of knowing what to wire or how to? is this possible to fix or do i have to take it to a dealer?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
how do i now what alternator is on there?

On the link I posted it lists the distinguishing features, colours and number of wires, colour and style of the connecters.
It also list which models the particular alternators can be found on
That is how you tell.
You might need to enlarge the diagram after you have downloaded it to read all the text.
Other than that use the search function ( under the name at the top of the page ) and search for "briggs & stratton alternators"
I am fairly sure some one posted a better chart than that earlier this year.

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
can you remind me where the alternator is located

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Under the flywheel which is why B & S use those different coloured wires and connectors.
All you need t do is match the connector colour , shale and wire colour to those on the chart.
You will find the wires hanging out around the starter motor.

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
I found what alternator is on there how to i get it to you?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get it to me, in Australia ?
You should have one of these
Briggs alternato.jpg
The red wire should be DC + and goes to the battery or the ignition switch Terminal A ? check your wiring diagram.
The black wire is AC and goes to the headlights.