Husqvarna YTH18542 won't start

Randomguy

Threads
I have a Husqvarna yth18542 tractor mower that won't start. I recently had someone work on it and got it back running from sitting up last year due to me not having time to mess with it. I changed the battery out the next day and it cut off on me after a few minutes of riding around. Now when you turn the key it just clicks. I changed the fuel solenoid and starter solenoid and it still won't start. It has plenty of gas and oil, a new spark plug, fuel filter and air filter. I have now test ignition switch as well as the ignition harness for resistance and they were good. Any suggestions on what to try or test would be great.

Product #960450059
Serial #090617A002434

Bertrrr

Threads
Sounds like a bad ground or battery connection

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have battery load tested at auto parts store,

Randomguy

Threads
It finally decided to start after I turned the flywheel by hand. I tried that before but this time I used more force. But unfortunately it cut off on me after almost getting all of my back yard cut.

hillybilly

Threads
Is that model a V-twin or a single cylinder?

hillybilly

Threads
Let me start by saying that by no means am I an expert. But I may of been down the same road as you. I had a John Deere LA 105. Mine would only grunt and partially turn the flywheel but not start. I could spin the flywheel by hand and it would start. This only worked for a short period of time. After replacing the battery, starter and solenoid it still wouldn't start. I did some research and discovered the valves needed to be adjusted. Lo and behold it started! But once again this trick could only be done for awhile before I was right back in that no starting mode. I then learned the camshaft needed to be replaced. While I don't specifically know, this issue is inherent to single cylinder models including ones bought today. I think the issue starts after it has appx. 200 hours on the engine.
How many hours does yours have on it?
ps. I hope I'm wrong. Once again, I am not an expert and nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night or ever for that matter.

Bertrrr

Threads
Camshafts rarely wear out but it's possible no doubt, I've seen them with a " groove " worn into the hard surface which will effect the valve action - this would have to have a ton of hours to have happened, but today's quality control is iffy so nothing is off the table in this day and age.
I've run across machines that acted this way when the Con rod was at the very BDC , once you got it to move a bit it would roll easy.

hillybilly

Threads
OK. Maybe not nescessarily the cam but a compression release mechanism. Here are two videos that helped me until the mechanism finally broke.
Scroll down to the 5th post.

Randomguy

Threads
OK. Maybe not nescessarily the cam but a compression release mechanism. Here are two videos that helped me until the mechanism finally broke.
Scroll down to the 5th post.
I'm not sure of the exact amount of hours because I bought it used from a guy at work who said it only had 50 hours but he also there was nothing wrong when there was in fact several things wrong with it. He could have lied about that as well