Engine husqvarna 55 rancher start problem

jniolon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good Morning

I've got a Husqvarna 55 rancher chainsaw... few years old but seldom used. Need to remove some trees so I pulled it out to get ready... here's my problem

when I pull the starter rope it will only pull out about 6" and I get serious resistance.

Chain brake is off
choke is set to on
chain moves when pulled manually.. ?????

so I remove the spark plug and try it again... rope pulls just fine and I can see piston moving up and down the cylinder... ????

so I'm thinking maybe got a valve stuck and compression is holding the saw... this saw has no compression release

I'm stumped any suggestions ?? Right now it's sitting on the bench with the piston at TDC and full of penetrating oil.. thinking maybe something might free up...
hoping I don't have to tear this thing down..

help ??

thanks

john

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
First of all your chain saw is 2 cycle not 4 cycle with valves. The resistance you are feeling I will guess its compression. The chain will not engage till your engine is turning higher RPM's so the chain brake shouldn't effect it. Your rancher 55 is a larger saw so I say it has higher compression. My Husky 460 is very close to the same saw you have and for me to start it I need the saw on the ground with my foot in the handle and give it a good hard solid pull. If your saw has higher then normal compression the only thing I can thing of is carbon build up on the top of the piston.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the muffler off and try again.
Don;t run the saw for too long without the muffler.
If the saw runs fine, remove all the wildlife that has taken residence in the muffler.