Husqvarna 455 Rancher coil question

fred93

Threads
I have a 455 Rancher chainsaw and I need to replace the ignition coil. I purchased a new coil on ebay--the seller said that it would fit the 455 rancher. However, when I received the part I found that it did not fit properly. Is there some confusion out there as to what coil fits a 455 Rancher?????

Is there a cut off serial number for one coil????

The part number on the old coil is part # 537-16-21-05

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Considering how screw up the Husqvarna price I just download this week is it may be crossed wrong. HTe price file has the 537 16 21-05 listed as a protector with no supersedes.

Can you post a picture of the old coil? The 455 II rancher uses a smaller coil.

fred93

Threads
Considering how screw up the Husqvarna price I just download this week is it may be crossed wrong. HTe price file has the 537 16 21-05 listed as a protector with no supersedes.

Can you post a picture of the old coil? The 455 II rancher uses a smaller coil.

Thanks--yes I have attached a photo of the old coil. I also attached two other photos--one is the old coil--the other is the new one I purchased on ebay. IMG_7678.JPGold coil.jpgnew coil.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

Thanks for your reply.

Is that a OEM part? Seems a little pricey. Are all the cheaper ones junk?
Yep, Husqvarna OEM.

dougand3

Threads
There is adjustment possible by the enlarged mounting holes. I'd try this: Put coil screws in loosely. Put business card on FW magnets. Turn FW till coil goes thunk to FW. Tighten screws down.

fred93

Threads
There is adjustment possible by the enlarged mounting holes. I'd try this: Put coil screws in loosely. Put business card on FW magnets. Turn FW till coil goes thunk to FW. Tighten screws down.
Thanks for your reply--

There is no way that this coil will work on the 455 Rancher.

I set the coil in place and I can see that there is NO WAY to make that coil fit properly. The center metal tab is already touching the flywheel and the two outer tabs are way too far away from the flywheel. The spec for the clearance between all the tabs and the flywheel is .027" It is not going to work. I need to purchase the CORRECT coil.

I messaged another seller on ebay and asked if the coil that they were selling would fit a 455 Rancher. Here is their reply--

"I honestly not sure as these coils are so hard for the fitment of this model.
I am so sorry I was not able to answer your question. You can try it out and if it dose not fit I will refund you your money back, or if it fits
I will still send you a refund just for helping me figure out of the fitment on this model.
I would like to know my self if it fits or not so I can fix my listing and not confuse any more people.
Thank you for your help,
Best regards"

Go figure!!!!

I guess that is why they are only charging $19.00 for their coil.

The coil on "Parts Tree" is $93.00 if that is what I need to pay so be it. Just seems too high!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is an old saw that Husqvarna wants you to replace
parts sitting in warehouses waiting to be despatched get very expensive very quickly
Firstly there is the purchase price that could have been paid for decades ago.
Then the cost of the pallet space, invoicing , picking despatching to the dealer, dealer mark up then you

dougand3

Threads
If you send a pic of the coil attached but not fitting, they should refund your money and you keep the coil. I'd grind the center leg till all 3 legs are equidistant and see if it works.