Husqvarna 128LD Will Not Stay Running

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well....... Have you tried starting it without the muffler attached. What you you describe is a classic plugged up exhoust. You have messed with carbs enough to say may not be a carb issue. If that is a piston port engine (most are) not a whole lot to go wrong if you have compression and spark. Air and fuel in and noise and hot gas out. Sounds like you have air and fuel in. If the muffler is plugged it will start and idle but bog and die when you throttle up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I pull the colortune out of the toolbox
Set it up & set up the video camera .
Then tape the results till the engine stops

Doggydoggen

Threads
the engine behave like this when you get low on gas in the carburetor, do you have a fuel pump on this machine?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
the engine behave like this when you get low on gas in the carburetor, do you have a fuel pump on this machine?
My lord do you even know what the 128 LD is? And to answer your question; Yes he has a fuel pump it is built-in the carburetor as nearly all cubes and rotary carburetor do. I actually have not seen without a fuel pump.

Slightlychilled

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having the same exact issue. New gas lines,new carb, cleaned the muffler. Will run fine but if revved up will just quit like some out turned off the gas.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am having the same exact issue. New gas lines,new carb, cleaned the muffler. Will run fine but if revved up will just quit like some out turned off the gas.
You will do a lot better to start your own thread.
Read through the answers here, try them on your tool the post the results so we know what you tried & what the results were
We also need to know what we are dealing with, make & model numbers please.

Slightlychilled

Forum Newbie
Threads
You will do a lot better to start your own thread.
Read through the answers here, try them on your tool the post the results so we know what you tried & what the results were
We also need to know what we are dealing with, make & model numbers please.
Why would I start a new thread when my experience ,model and problem are exactly the same as the OG post.

Hold_my_beer85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Husqvarna 128LD FIXED!
Tell u what this has been a fun little nightmare.
First: put fresh mixed gas in, pulled plug cleaned with wire brush and replaced.. primed, pulled, fired right up for a few seconds then buuuggghhhh. Bogged out. That's when the fun began.
Next: picked up a new plug that evening while I was in Wallyworld. Next morning installed new plug checked air filter (it was pretty gnarly but got it cleaned up enough that maybe it would stay running. Nope!
Now I'm tired of messing around so I pull carb, break everything down, clean with carb cleaner, reassemble, replace fuel lines, fuel filter, picked up new air filter from Lowes, can of Husqvarna 50:1 premix fuel, checked exhaust screen, put everything back together and same thing.
At this point I was teetering between actually listening to my wife and just blowing $200 on a new one.. or giving it one more shot. And I'm not giving her the satisfaction of "i told ya so" lol. Last ditch effort...replaced the spark plug...and that did it! Turns out there is an odd problem. Make sure that you have a resistor type plug installed. The electric field generated by a non-resistor plug can interfere with the ignition and emulate a stop signal to the trimmer when it's wide open. Never knew that before. Hope that helps! Oh, and I have less than $30 invested and it runs like a beast.

danmasi

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, thanks for that... gonna head out and get a spark plug and see what happens. FYI, I have the exact same issue, have rebuild the carb, replaced lines/filters, checked the spark arrestor, etc. When new it worked great, but after only a year or so developed this issue where it will not take throttle. Idles fine, revs up if you give it maybe 10-20% throttle, any more and it dies. Carb adjustments don't fix. The interesting thing I've found is that when the unit is cold (i.e. been sitting all night), it will go full-throttle just fine after a brief warm-up. It *only* starts this bad behavior after it gets hot.

danmasi

Forum Newbie
Threads
AND, apparently that fixed the issue, as unlikely as it seems. Replaced the original (not very old) RCJ8Y with a Champion 843ECO, problem gone!