HRR2167 mower running terribly....

OklahomaDave

Threads
Everyone, I realize this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to update status on my mower. It has been a roller coaster of frustration.

The local Honda dealer to whom I submitted the mower for warranty repair tried to insist that the carburetor was "full of trash," and I then explained to him that the carburetor was *brand new*, which they could confirm by checking their own sales records. They then tried to tell me it was "old gas," when in reality the gas was *brand new* the day I installed the carburetor - purchased that afternoon - and before they could make the inevitable argument - it was never ethanol.

I'm now being charged $66 for a carburetor overhaul that could not POSSIBLY have been the problem, because the carburetor (which I've discussed here) was brand new; to say nothing of the fact that they didn't even look at the automatic choke, and I'm so angry with the local Honda dealer I can barely even type this message.

Two summers ago, I went out of my way to route my business to a local retailer and not a big box store because (I thought) the local guy would stand behind what he sold, not play a runaround game with a customer. I could have gone to Home Depot down the street and gotten the same treatment.

This dealer may end up getting my $66 because I've got not much choice (although the tech I talked to said he'd talk to the owner), and I realize I individually don't amount to anything in his broader customer base, but I promise it'll be the dead *last* time they get so much as a penny from me.

My estimation is that it is quicker and easier for them to blame gas, then charge the customer, rather than truly inspect the unit and bill Honda for a warranty repair.

If I wanted to write or contact Honda on this, does anyone here have any contact info they could share?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I wanted to write or contact Honda on this, does anyone here have any contact info they could share?

Sorry to hear of the poor experience, Dave. The good news is Honda does have a Customer Relations Department for just this type of situation. You can contact them at 770-497-6400. Have the serial number off the back the mower deck, and of course, details of the repairs and the people who you spoke with at the dealer.

OklahomaDave

Threads
Sorry to hear of the poor experience, Dave. The good news is Honda does have a Customer Relations Department for just this type of situation. You can contact them at 770-497-6400. Have the serial number off the back the mower deck, and of course, details of the repairs and the people who you spoke with at the dealer.

Thanks, Robert.

I was so angry when I posted my previous reply that I forgot to mention the most infuriating part of all:

Five minutes after I got the mower home, it started surging again.

Mystik2stroke

Threads
Howdy-

Just an idea, if the brand new carb is not correcting the surge, and assuming the new carb is not defective, then maybe something inside the mechanical governor (flyweights in the crankcase) is binding or broken? What motor oil are you using (viscosity)?

Sounds like a call to Honda or maybe a different dealer would help.

Did you try a new spark plug, is the coil gapped correctly? Is the crankcase breather on the engine block clean and functional? (Dealer should have already checked these).

On my HRB216 my hard starting - surging was the factory pilot jetting just a bit too lean. The carb was clean, it was the factory settings in my case.

Now she's unstoppable:biggrin: