HRR2167 mower running terribly....

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
FYI, OP's model is an HRR216(K)7. This was the last version (K-number) of the HRR-series mowers that came with a manual choke.

Autochoke started with K8 versions of the HRR (steel mower decks), such as HRR2168VKA

Autochoke started with K3 version of the HRX (composite mower decks), such as HRX2173VKA

OklahomaDave

Threads
FYI, OP's model is an HRR216(K)7. This was the last version (K-number) of the HRR-series mowers that came with a manual choke.

Autochoke started with K8 versions of the HRR (steel mower decks), such as HRR2168VKA

Autochoke started with K3 version of the HRX (composite mower decks), such as HRX2173VKA

Robert, thank you for replying. I have to admit to being a dunce on my original post - my mower is, in fact, an HRR2168. The title of my original post is wrong, but I don't see a way to edit it. My apologies for the confusion.

When my mower was new, it *never* surged the way it is now. Autochoke would be a perfectly reasonable next step, wouldn't it?

OklahomaDave

Threads
Hi_
The other posters mentioned the auto choke malfunctioning-did you ask the dealer about the service bulletin regarding the auto choke problems Honda did have?

The surging condition is due to lean(less fuel) carb settings by Honda to satisfy the EPA, the dealer will state this is "normal". It can be corrected by adjusting the jetting (pilot jet), but you should seek out a good mower mechanic for that.

You have /had 2 separate issues- the auto choke , then the carb jetting (dealer wll say it's not a problem, that's your call if it irritates you enough).

Hi mystik...no, have not talked to the dealer about any TSB's. All I know is that the mower started running poorly this summer, and kept getting progressively worse, and a carb cleanout didn't help. New carb has helped as noted, but the surging is just goofy and not consistent with how it operated prior to this situation. Thanks for your input on the TSB!!! My fear right now is that the operable condition of the mower may be short-lived, so at this point I'm not sure what to think.

OklahomaDave

Threads
Re: HRR2168 mower running terribly....

Greetings all

Have a problematic HRR2167 mower with a GCV160 engine that has started giving me real performance problems.

This is my third summer with the monster, and each year its given fresh regular unleaded gas and fresh oil. It mows a very simple, relatively flat residential yard, and has worked well until this summer, when I noticed it started to run really rough - black smoke, surging, the works.

First stop - spark plug. Existing plug fairly sooty, new plug installed. Runs - a little better, but not much. Not what I'm accustomed to. Next, air filter: Still virtually pristine - can easily see light through it. No real difference running with the filter completely off. With the presentation of black smoke, I start thinking actual carburetor plugging issues. So I tear it down, and notice the carb looks really clean, but I take it apart and clean it anyway.
No joy.

If anything, it starts to run worse, surging worse, so I run the fuel tank dry and get absolutely new, fresh gas - still no joy.

I'm no mechanic, but I've read at least enough to check out these few things, and with the beast still running rough, I'm out of ideas.

Is there something out of the box I'm just overlooking?

Thanks for any advice.

Replying to this thread with a changed title to reflect the proper model of my mower. Don't think this will change the original post's title, but worth a shot..

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
* Note I said "almost" cured...Welll, the engine starts, and initially runs fine...put it under load with the blade engaged, it runs great and mows like a monster. But....when I disengage the blade clutch to empty the bag, now with the engine warm, the engine repeatedly surges and slows..surges and slows...at about two (?) second intervals. Put it back under load (re-engage the clutch) and it runs fine.

Double-check all the reinstalled parts (springs, rods, etc.) and confirm they are in the correct holes and orientation. Be sure the two long bolts holding the carb and air cleaner case are snug (vacuum leaks). Be 100% sure all gaskets are installed correctly check for orientation and make sure none are reversed or rotated 180 degrees.

When the engine is at low rpm, remove the air filter and observe the choke plate. Does it open/close with the surge or not? If it does, could be a faulty autochoke, but if not, then the problem lies elsewhere.

Generally, autochoke issues are when the choke plate is stuck OPEN, making a cold engine hard/impossible to start.

K8 mowers with possible autochoke issues are from serial number 8400001~8669999. A defective autochoke on a mower in that range is usually repaired at no charge under warranty.

Find A Honda Dealer

OklahomaDave

Threads
Double-check all the reinstalled parts (springs, rods, etc.) and confirm they are in the correct holes and orientation. Be sure the two long bolts holding the carb and air cleaner case are snug (vacuum leaks). Be 100% sure all gaskets are installed correctly check for orientation and make sure none are reversed or rotated 180 degrees.

When the engine is at low rpm, remove the air filter and observe the choke plate. Does it open/close with the surge or not? If it does, could be a faulty autochoke, but if not, then the problem lies elsewhere.

Generally, autochoke issues are when the choke plate is stuck OPEN, making a cold engine hard/impossible to start.

K8 mowers with possible autochoke issues are from serial number 8400001~8669999. A defective autochoke on a mower in that range is usually repaired at no charge under warranty.

Find A Honda Dealer

Thanks, robert. I appreciate your help. My serial is 8520xxx, so it surely seems in the range for autochoke issues.

My mower has never had issues starting. I will double check all the carb connections tonight and observe the choke plate as you asked and advise accordingly.

OklahomaDave

Threads

Find A Honda Dealer

Robert,

The choke plate is moving with the surging. I did not have enough time or sunlight this evening to double-check the gaskets, but I'll check that tomorrow evening. Is there an exploded parts diagram available that might illustrate the general carb assembly area and those gaskets such that I may *absolutely* confirm their proper orientation?

-David

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert,

The choke plate is moving with the surging. I did not have enough time or sunlight this evening to double-check the gaskets, but I'll check that tomorrow evening. Is there an exploded parts diagram available that might illustrate the general carb assembly area and those gaskets such that I may *absolutely* confirm their proper orientation?

-David

Here's the gaskets; note the holes/orientation on each:

gcvcarbandgaskets_zpsf23fdca4.jpg

Here's the other mechanicals; ensure the springs/rods are in the correct locations:

gcvlinkage_zpscb1cd795.jpg

OklahomaDave

Threads
Here's the gaskets; note the holes/orientation on each:

gcvcarbandgaskets_zpsf23fdca4.jpg

Here's the other mechanicals; ensure the springs/rods are in the correct locations:

gcvlinkage_zpscb1cd795.jpg

Perfect, Robert. Thank you so much for taking the time to post these. I'll see if I can't work on it tonight and verify everything.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Best way to check for air leaks is spray carb cleaner all over the gaskets with it running you'll hear the difference if you find one