HRC216SXA

kgp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anyone tried to slow down the ground speed on one of these? First gear is too fast and second gear is just stupid fast. Gear change seems appropriate but I have no manuals/specs to start with. Am I trying to reinvent the wheel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Threads
Has anyone tried to slow down the ground speed on one of these? First gear is too fast and second gear is just stupid fast. Gear change seems appropriate but I have no manuals/specs to start with. Am I trying to reinvent the wheel?

You mean the HRC216HXA, correct? I think you made a typo. I will change the title if you confirm. It has the hydrostatic cruise control, can't you change the speeds anywhere from 2-4 mph?

cruise control.jpg

Last edited:

kgp

Forum Newbie
Threads
No typo, HRC216SXA is correct. Its 2 speed, not hydro.

crosstalk

Threads
Maybe the engine speed is too fast, which would cause the drive speed to be faster.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Err... us commercial users crave speed. My prescription is learn to walk faster

kgp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry about the typo, SXA is correct so the header is wrong. I'm not much of a typist. I need to clarify my problem as well: The blade can't keep up with the wheel speed so it misses lots of grass. I could easily throttle back to slow it down but the blade would also slow proportionately. I have no idea who could EVER use second gear and actually cut grass. So its not the speed per se, but the blade to wheel speed ratio. Pushing that heavy SOB is no easy chore. My back is still sore from doing so nearly a week ago. If the blade could keep up, I'd gladly use second gear and jog my way around the yard and be done in a heartbeat. I've been told the design speeds are 2.66 and 3.68 MPH (3.9 and 5.4 feet/sec). This is not a new issue, I've been dealing with it since new. My back never hurt for a week though (I'm getting old!). The mower is otherwise fantastic. Extremely well made and reliable. Starts first pull every time except the first spring start which takes 3 or 4 pulls. Bottom line: I'd LOVE to change the drive ratio but I don't know what I'm getting into (whether or not it can be done). I should rephrase, anything can be done but at what cost/effort. Does anyone have a shop/service manual for this? I'm hoping simply changing 2 gears with appropriate diameters will yield the perfect mower.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I should rephrase, anything can be done but at what cost/effort. Does anyone have a shop/service manual for this? I'm hoping simply changing 2 gears with appropriate diameters will yield the perfect mower.

Honda sells shop manuals on both eBay and Amazon. Search for HRC216SXA and you'll find 'em. Cost is the same at either location, and free shipping. FYI, here's a screen grab of the transmission.

FYI, Honda does not sell alternate ratio gears, just the stock ones. Not sure where you might find some, perhaps a good machine shop can look at the originals and see what might be done? Just a thought.

hrc216sxtransmission_zpsbcf398f4.jpg

kgp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the screenshot, Robert. Would you mind posting a shot of the legend for that blowup? If I decide to attempt a modification, I'm sure I'll need at least part #4 (gasket or O-ring?). I looked at Honda's Amazon and EBay sites and only saw HRC216K1 shop manuals, no HRC216SXA. My original invoice does indicate model# HRC216K1SX but the Owner's manual is HRC216SXA/HRC216HXA. Serial is MZAN6145221. Another option is to convert my SXA to an HXA, but I suspect it'd be cost-prohibitive to do so.