HRC216SXA

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the screenshot, Robert. Would you mind posting a shot of the legend for that blowup? If I decide to attempt a modification, I'm sure I'll need at least part #4 (gasket or O-ring?). I looked at Honda's Amazon and EBay sites and only saw HRC216K1 shop manuals, no HRC216SXA. My original invoice does indicate model# HRC216K1SX but the Owner's manual is HRC216SXA/HRC216HXA. Serial is MZAN6145221. Another option is to convert my SXA to an HXA, but I suspect it'd be cost-prohibitive to do so.

The K1 is a version number, often not included in publications, brochures, etc. You will usually only see "K1" or sometimes only "1" on the full model name or in other service materials. Your mower is indeed and HRC216(K1)SXA so that HRC216K1 shop manual is correct.

To convert to an HX hydrostatic version would indeed be very costly. Just the transmission alone has a list price of $394.21, and you'd still need cables, controls, levers, etc. Far, far easier to sell your SX, and you'd probably find an eager commercial buyer quickly, then think about what other model with a variable speed transmission would fit your needs.

Note: Items in the list with Mod Code = X are discontinued.

hrc216sxtransmissionpartslist_zpsb406fc2a.jpg

kgp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you again, Robert. It appears the mod would involve 6,7 &10. 6&7 are probably not a big deal to acquire different tooth counts, but 10 (final gear) appears to be a "two in one" set of gears side by side. I think this is the deal killer. This is not likely to be a stock item anywhere. Once again I much appreciate your help. I concur with your advice about selling versus modifying. Now, what's it worth? I know of no Kelley blue book for mowers but I'm hoping since its only been used residentially on a half acre lot, well maintained and has no issues $400? I really thought this mower would be the last I ever bought. Alas and alack mayhaps not.

kgp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I see its been nearly a year since my last post. I abandoned my thought of modifying the SXA as too troublesome/costly. I bought a new HXA and couldn't be happier with it. The costly part didn't go away, but now the speed is reasonable. My stellar salesman told me it didn't need a side discharge chute as the new models just "spit it out the back". Tried that. Pulled out the "mulching plug" thing and tried to mow. Hmmm. Not so good. Propped the "door" open a tad with a small piece of wood to mow the jungle. Mower worked fine, but my feet are inundated with clippings. Check owners manual after mowing. Side discharge chute is an option (I was gonna make one). Order chute. Chute is in today at the dealer and I plan to discuss its nonexistence with salesperson. This is obviously a local issue. Now I just need to sell my SXA.