How to test B&S fuel pump?

unioncreek

Threads
I have a John Deere D140 with a 22 hp V Twin B&S. I just overhauled it, has 140 hours on it. Before overhauling it I had to prime it with gas to get it started, figured it was because of low vacuum. I started it yesterday for first time since the overhaul. Figured it was from setting for three months. I tried restarting it after a couple hours and it wouldn't start. Pulled the carb line and nothing came out. I'm assuming the pump is bad. I see a lot of pumps online, where's the best place to buy one?

Bob

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am assuming the fuel line from the tank to the pump is blocked .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Usually you just put the pickup line in a container of fuel and the have the out flow line off and just crank the engine. If you get a good strong impulse of fuel the pump is working usually. But I have seen them not pump once connected.

But as Bert mention a block fuel line from the tank or one that the tank pickup is clogged or broken off can cause a no fuel flow problem. Trash in the tank can block the fuel pickup intermittently too like the Yellow Jacket and Honey Bee did here on one JD mower. They would get suck up, block the fuel flow, and then when the engine wasn't running unblock the pickup. It just kept cycling this way until I saw them in the tank.

One other thing double the fuel pump connections as they can connected up in the wrong order.

unioncreek

Threads
Thanks. I'll check the pickup line and tank.

Bob

unioncreek

Threads
Had a few minutes today to check the fuel pump. Removed the fuel line from the pump to the carb and cranked it over. It pumped a pretty good flow of fuel. Tried starting mower and it wouldn't start. Removed the air cleaner cover and poured a little gas in, choked it and it sorted right up and ran good. Let it set for five minutes and it would not start. Pour some gas in and it started right up.

Going to take the carb off and clean it to see if anything is plugged.

Bob

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For fuel to get into your carb the float valve has to open.
These have been known to get gummy and stick closed
The pump only puts out 5 to 7 psi which is not very much

The other thing that has to happen is the air in the bowl has to get out
To do this the bowl has a vent hole which because of EPA regulations is not on the engine side of he carb often near or in the mounting flange.
Very rarely ( hey but you are a special case arn't you ) this hole blocks up so again no fuel flow .

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
For fuel to get into your carb the float valve has to open.
These have been known to get gummy and stick closed
The pump only puts out 5 to 7 psi which is not very much

The other thing that has to happen is the air in the bowl has to get out
To do this the bowl has a vent hole which because of EPA regulations is not on the engine side of he carb often near or in the mounting flange.
Very rarely ( hey but you are a special case arn't you ) this hole blocks up so again no fuel flow .
The vacuum pumps used on Briggs etc are a little closer to 1.5 psi and not over 3.

unioncreek

Threads
Went up and looked at it again. I noticed the choke linkage was not moving. So, I pushed down in the lever attached to the chick.rod and it started right up. It's not hooked up right and the pictures I took when taking everything apart don't show how the choke is hooked up. Where can I find some pics of the choke area. It's a B&S 22 hp V Twin model 407777- 0274-G5.

Bob

unioncreek

Threads
I found a YouTube clip late this afternoon and was able to figure it out. Started right up. It's going to be nice having riding mower again that doesn't use a quart of oil every time I mow the lawn.

Thanks for all the help.

Bob