How to engage the PTO?

Dowd_Elwood_P

Threads
I'd like to consider myself not an idiot but apparently that's not the case. I bought this mower "as is" at an auction, I've looked all over & can not find a switch or lever that would engage the PTO/blades. The model number is worn off the bottom of the seat so I cant get a owners manual. It's an old MTD Yard Machines. I'm about to go look for the drive belt & go from there, Anyone have any ideas? I operate farm machinery but cant figure out a lawn mower, feel free to pile on the jokes :laughing:.

IMG_20150308_153246_114_zpsh3zafyua.jpg

IMG_20150308_153301_327_zpst1x586th.jpg

IMG_20150308_153315_117_zpsowxtaojz.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you lower the deck there is a mechanism that pulls the deck rearward to tension the drive belt, and engage the blades.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would think it would have a electric operated clutch. I see two switches and take it either one of them operate the clutch. From here I would say there is some kind of problem? Blown fuse , bad wire, clutch burned out?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you know how to read B & S serial numbers find the year of your engine
If you don't post the engine & Serial number's and from that we can work out the age of the mower.
No one but no one ever replaced a H twin Briggs.
Armed with that you can go to the MTD web site and do a parts search
Click on the "Parts finder" tab
In the parts finder window click on the down arrow under "Find Parts By Model"
Click on the "MTD" folder
Scroll down to the bottom & click on the "Yard Machine" folder
Click on "13- lawn Tractors"
Click on the year of your engine
Look for a serial number with the letter "H" as the 4th last digit
H is the 3 blade 46" deck.
Plug the serial number on the parts list into the "find manuals" section in the "support " section and download the operators manual & engine manual

Now if you want to be a bit more specific, open multiple windows with every H deck and look at the hoods section to find the one same as yours.
The hood style is the 5th last number and goes from 3 to 9

If you have not gone mad , blind or both, welcome to the lot of the independant small engine mechanic :confused2:

Your exact mower year could also be a year latter than the engine year.
A detailed service manual can be found at K & T's site "K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts" and you are looking for Must have book Number 2 rear engine & lawn tractors.

If any clever lads out there knows how the rest of the model code works I would be appreciative for some education.
I know the first two numbers are the equipment type

Dowd_Elwood_P

Threads
Thanks everyone! Apparently the previous owners were the only people that could destroy a H twin because this mower has a 20hp Twin in it now. There was a partial model number left, I was able to scroll through the model years & I found a match, it's a 13A6699H192 (1997). Thanks for the info. I picked this mower up for not very much, with a tune up, battery & belt, I think I'll be in business. Thanks a lot!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks everyone! Apparently the previous owners were the only people that could destroy a H twin because this mower has a 20hp Twin in it now. There was a partial model number left, I was able to scroll through the model years & I found a match, it's a 13A6699H192 (1997). Thanks for the info. I picked this mower up for not very much, with a tune up, battery & belt, I think I'll be in business. Thanks a lot!

Let us know how it goes.
No one replaced the H Twins because they were very expensive not because they were bullet proof.
I hate them because every one I have touched to date needed a valve adjustment which takes a whole day to do and the shop rate is 45 minutes a side & 30 mins for cleaning so lots of dead hours.

So when your starter motor as trouble turning the engine over the compression arm yourself with a complete overhall kit ,leave a good weekend free to do the job and take lots of photos, a new one every time you remove/ disconnect any part as the set up of linkages & cowlings is quite confusing and not obvious from reading the manual.
While they are just 2 L heads joined together at the crank they are so much more tedious to work on.
And for some reason I can not fathom seem really prone to leaking oil through the head gaskets via the lower head bolts.

Dowd_Elwood_P

Threads
Well I think it's time for that overhaul kit..... It runs ok unloaded but it looses power under load & will kill its self if you try to mow with it. I was blaming it on a carb issue. The starter is slow to turn with a new battery & good cables. I checked the voltage, its was about 7.5 but jumped around loaded, I pulled the plugs & it was a steady 9.5 so I assume it's a starter issue or end cap. Anyway, I did a compression check while I had the plugs out. It was cold & I have 33psi on the left & 60psi on the right. The plugs have about 5-7min of run time on them, the left was blackened a bit but the right was clean. What psi should they have? The motor is Model 461707 Type 0143 E1 Code 9911295B I'll post more pictures of it later. Thanks