How many hours do machines really last?

troverman

Threads
How long will these mowers last? Pretty much depends upon how well you take care of it. Having a more costly, better made mower should mean it lasts longer, but those need good maintenance too. Keep in mind that heavier-duty transmissions and higher power motors are needed for heavier chassis mowers with bigger cutting decks. The heavier the machine, the bigger components needed. A unit that is smaller and lighter with "lower end" components doesn't necessarily mean it isn't quality, just the correct spec for the size, weight, and performance of the machine. A ZT-3400 transaxle is considered commercial grade. However, there is a world of difference between a ZT-3400 and a ZT-4400. 4-lug vs 5-lug hubs is one indicator. But of course, the 4400 is designed for higher horsepower engines and heavy chassis mowers.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey guys, so I know there is a lot of argument on this topic and I know there are factors that can vary this greatly. Having this in mind, I would like to get some numbers on how long commercial equipment lasts. For instance, right now I have a Ferris with a 26HP Vangaurd and Hydro Gear 4400 Transaxles. I am looking at a Simplicity (made by Ferris and Briggs) that is a step down from this machine. It has a 27HP Briggs and Stratton with Hydro Gear 3400 Transaxles. I am interested in this machine because a lot of the parts including blades are interchangeable between the two. This machine is just clearly a step down from the Vanguard Ferris setup I have. So I would love to hear your guys feedback on these machines too.

However, what I really want to know is how many hours do these machines realistically see? I have seen some people say they start wearing out around 1,000 and others say they can go for thousands if taken care of properly. The advice I was given is after the machine is old and tired and either the engine or transaxles give out to start looking for a new machine. I think that is probably good advice.

I wanted this to be a general discussion. Trying to figure out how long they last and if anyone knows about these 'generic sticker' Briggs engines. When I bought my Ferris I was sold on a Vanguard because of their reliability over other engines. It does run great. Anyway I do not think me and this guy are going to be able to come to an agreement because he is way too high on price. He is asking $8,000 for it and the machine is basically brand new. I have not had a chance to speak with him yet.
I ran a Tiger Cat Scag with a 22 HP Kawasaki 2700 hours on the meter and on two different occasions the meter would stop working for a length of time. I estimate that 3000 hours would be conservative. It was still running and not using excessive oil when I sold it last year. The only reason I sold it was I found a much newer one just like it with less than 250 hours on it. It was running daily when I sold it. I always ran the blue bottle oil from Walmart in the engine. 10 W 30 for years and then the las couple I ran 20W50. It was always changed at around 100 hours and when the hour meter was not working when it started to look dirty. I changed the oil for the pumps every 500 hours and used 20W 50 blue bottle Walmart oil in them as well.

WSD

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the other brand, with an EXtraordinarily heavy chassis. I bought it because I had a new big yard (4-5 acres) and didn't want to spend multiple afternoons after work cutting grass with my (pretty big) lawn tractor. I had zero knowledge at that time, in fact I had to have the seller drive it onto my rental trailer because I was nervous to try it. Anyway, turns out it was their top-of-the-line rider and it had a new engine with 1600 hours on the clock. Last year a hydro went bad-$2700 parts plus $300 labor. Ugh,....but...when the next hydro gets replaced this essentially a new(ish) machine. It makes me happy to have something that wasn't built for obsolescence and is actually worth fixing in spite of the high cost of parts. I wish there were cars like this.

GrumpyL5030

Forum Newbie
Threads
No hour meter on this rig. Pretty much used 3 hours twice a week all summer for 4 months since new. The engine is a 2 cyl.Kohler command 25hp. The only thing I've done with the engine besides regular maintenance is to get rid of the capacitor timing advance garbage and convert it to the old-school ignition timing. It runs great again now. (Knocking on wood now).
I was wrong about that exmark not having an hour meter. It DOES. just noticed it last night as I put the battery back on. This machine was new in 2003 I think. Right now it clocks 1900.3 hours with very few minor repairs. I probably looked at the clock the first year we had it. We just do a top to bottom tune up every spring when it comes outa the barn.

CyrilO

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, so I know there is a lot of argument on this topic and I know there are factors that can vary this greatly. Having this in mind, I would like to get some numbers on how long commercial equipment lasts. For instance, right now I have a Ferris with a 26HP Vangaurd and Hydro Gear 4400 Transaxles. I am looking at a Simplicity (made by Ferris and Briggs) that is a step down from this machine. It has a 27HP Briggs and Stratton with Hydro Gear 3400 Transaxles. I am interested in this machine because a lot of the parts including blades are interchangeable between the two. This machine is just clearly a step down from the Vanguard Ferris setup I have. So I would love to hear your guys feedback on these machines too.

However, what I really want to know is how many hours do these machines realistically see? I have seen some people say they start wearing out around 1,000 and others say they can go for thousands if taken care of properly. The advice I was given is after the machine is old and tired and either the engine or transaxles give out to start looking for a new machine. I think that is probably good advice.

I wanted this to be a general discussion. Trying to figure out how long they last and if anyone knows about these 'generic sticker' Briggs engines. When I bought my Ferris I was sold on a Vanguard because of their reliability over other engines. It does run great. Anyway I do not think me and this guy are going to be able to come to an agreement because he is way too high on price. He is asking $8,000 for it and the machine is basically brand new. I have not had a chance to speak with him yet.
I traded my 42
I would say that 95% or more of people in the commercial mowing business change their oil regularly. I know a lot of people in the business and they are anal about it, as am I. I do not put that many hours on my machine anymore but I change the oil at least at the beginning of each season. I also change the transaxles fluid every few years or so too. If I was using it more often I would be doing it more often.

What you are talking about is residential homeowners. That is why manufacturers nowadays are sealing everything up and making it maintenance free. I think the new engines that have a filter prefilled with a quart of oil (or whatever) they are, are pretty moronic. However, if you can convince people to change those out I guess it is better than not doing anything at all. The are 'throw away' machines which I find ridiculous. You pay thousands of dollars for them and use them until they stop working and pretty much toss them or put "free" on them out by the curb. For the record I would never do this. I find it mind boggling that people do.

Anyway what I was sort of looking for here is "Hey I had/have a Ferris with the same setup and I am over 1,500 hours right now". Because people say these machines can easily get thousands of hours but I never see it. If you go look at classifieds for them they rarely have over 1,000 hours and I was wondering if it was because they are still relatively new machines or you are getting close to their failure rate.
Last spring I traded my 42" Cub for a 60" Gizmo. Says it has 6689 hrs on it, Run like a top. I cut 3 acres a week. It sheared a metal stake holding one of my apple trees. The only problem I have, is if I turn off the PTO while the lawnmower is moving the belt slips off.

Hexa Fox

Threads
Steep hills are not a big problem provided that the engine is running full speed
Running up steep slopes using engine speed to control the ground speed is the problem .
As for the steering wheel cub , yes they& the similar Toro are more stable on slopes because the front casters are controlled so they can not go sideways like other brands do .
Hey Bert,

So as luck would have it, I just had my first spindle failure on my Ferris. I have replaced a lot of spindles over the years but never on a commercial piece of equipment and never rebuilt them. I was wondering if you had an opinion on greasing them versus modifying them? For instance, everyone is talking about cutting a hole in the middle of the housing and adding a Zerk fitting. Then removing the inner bearing seals so grease can flow freely to the now open bearings. Everyone else is free to chime in as well.

Hexa Fox

Threads
Your statement makes no sense. There are plenty of videos from Wright mowers talking about the 2" receiver hitch on the back of their ZXL and ZXT zero turn mowers. In the video, Wright clearly says they are rated to pull 500lbs but they have tested them to pull much more. Each hydro manufacturer specifies a torque rating and a load rating of their pump / motor or transaxle assembly. There are plenty of heavy-duty ZTRs with hitches rated to pull similar, and I wouldn't expect any ill effects from towing within the rated amount with the engine up to speed.

Exactly, most of the larger machines have the same brand Tuff Torque (or whatever) or Hydro Gear transmissions that are larger and stronger. I think you should still use common sense but as long as you are only pulling around what they are rated for I do not think you are going to eat any serious life off them. The reason it doesn't make sense is on the smaller garden tractors that frequent pulling stuff usually have sealed transaxles that are smaller.