How do I match up a replacement engine?

I pulled the spark plug and I can see the valves moving but no compression. So I'm thinking its the connecting rod. My kid really wants to rebuild it so we will take it apart before ordering anything. I stripped out the set screw on the lovejoy connector so that needs to be drilled out too.
 
Things to Consider when Buying a Replacement Engine

Some tips on how to examine your replacement engine closely before deciding on a purchase especially for used or secondhand ones.
The Service History

You can never be too sure with the engine that you’re about to buy. In a perfect world, the seller will disclose everything there is to know about the engine but we aren’t living in one. Get a trusted mechanic preferably someone neutral who will examine the wear and tear of an engine. The simple way is that take your lawn mower engine number and provide to your chosen mower dealer and ask them to collect the same features engine. if the number matches to your expected engine, then all the features of the engine should be matched up, you can certainly replace the engine. Some damages may not be obvious especially to the untrained eyes so it’s important to get an expert’s opinion on an engine’s service history.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top