How do I match up a replacement engine?

Beesnweeds

Threads
I have and old log splitter made by Diddier and sold by Montgomery Wards. The engine needs to be replaced, how can I match up to a new engine?
Thank You,
Mike

Model: 130202
Type: 0801 01
Code: 80062307

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The easiest way is to take your engine numbers to a Briggs authourized dealer and have them use their reporter guide to get the exact model replacement. That way you will have someone to fall back on if the engine does not match up. You can use the internet and forums, but if someone looks it up wrong and you don’t have the correct engine, it may be time to retrofit or reorder.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Per Briggs Power Portal the direct replacement is 126332-1036-B6. Now it will be an OHV were the yours is a L-head engine.

Beesnweeds

Threads
Thank you for the fast reply! I'll see I can find one.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Jack's Small engines has one for $379.

Beesnweeds

Threads
Not sure about getting a replacement engine yet, but I definitely want to get a rebuild kit for the old 5hp Briggs. Any suggestions on which kits are best?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What is wrong with the engine exactly?
Briggs oem parts is the best way to go,
and a good repair manual, briggs 270962 manual should be for this one i think.
the wise thing to do is to tear it all down, and (if you have the know how) or have a machinist, measure the cylinder bore and see how bad it is worn, if it would need bored out, or just a new ring set. of course regardless, new oil seals, correct thickness crankcase gasket, valve job, checking tolerances on the crank rod journal and other bearing surface clearances. probably several other things im leaving out.

Beesnweeds

Threads
While running it made a couple loud knocks and stopped. There's no resistance when pulling the cord. So I'm guessing the piston and connecting rod need to replaced along with the rings and gaskets.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yeeee.
Does the piston move when you pull the cord?