How about mower to go kart?

Bethieboo

Threads
I have heard about people converting old mowers in to go karts. Has anyone done this? Does it make for a safe and usable go cart? How practical would this be?

00rcg1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know that if you switch a big pulley on the engine and a smaller one on the trans then it will go faster but as far as a gocart idk. it would be cool for the mud though if you some how kept some torque and covered the belts with like a removable plate.

dria

Threads
I do not think that is a bad idea! Bethie I do get the feeling that you like to convert things if you can! So let's start a how to... How to convert a mower to a go cart!

buntrock

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just got back from Tenn. visiting inlaws. Went to Wilson County Fair They Had lawnmower races! The riding mowers raced in classes from stock,"take off blades put on helment and race,"to some that would really go dangerously fast!Looks like loads of fun.They all looked like riders but that was as far as it went.Great entertainment for grandson and I.

stanley

Threads
I love lawnmower races. The one I ever saw was in Missouri and it was great. I'm not really going to participate anymore, but I still love to watch it.

the neighbor

Forum Newbie
Threads
We had an old rider whose deck was trashed, and we usta just send the kids out on it. All it took was removing the deck. Yeah. it WAS kinda slow. Just right for junior drivers. We hooked it up, freight-train style, to an engine-less go-kart, a coupla kids wagons and a trike on the end, and let 'em drive out in the field. A gallon of gas gave us a nice break from any number of kids... As far as the go-kart conversion goes, I'm thinkin' it'd be scary. Most of the mowers I've looked at really were'nt what I'd call over-engineered. Those racing ones have very little in common with "real" lawnmowers. I want to see a lawnmower race where they MOW LAWN. Some of those with the snowmobile drive train might be interesting. They smoke the tires like a funny car. You wouldn't be able to tell if you'd mowed or plowed!

Twinkle

Threads
I've seen video of lawnmower racing and it looks like a lot of fun if you are brave enough! I wonder if I can get them to put this on the agenda at our next county fair!

linda4

Threads
I tried this once for my 10 year old son. It was a real pain to do this and it worked out only so well. In the end, I just coughed up $200 for a real go-cart; best 4200 I ever spent.

briggs

Threads
we made one years ago when i was 10 .. ..we used an old snow blower motor that had the clutch and chain on it for the drive ..I think it was a 8hp Tecumseh off an old sears snow blower ...It had one forward gear you had to engage it at a low idle then give it gas my father rigged up a gas peddle and he put front brakes on it cant remember what he used or how he did it tho i know there was a cable man would that thing fly lol hard to stop also smashed up the front a few times till i got used to her ....

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 11
  • mowers2 004.JPG
    mowers2 004.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Toro Turfmaster 002.jpg
    Toro Turfmaster 002.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 12
  • G13361.jpg
    G13361.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Toro Grandstand 36 001.jpg
    Toro Grandstand 36 001.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 13

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
we made one years ago when i was 10 .. ..we used an old snow blower motor

This reminds me of go carting in the early 60's, we put LARGE McCulloch Chainsaw engines on, they would FLY... no one in high school gave any thought to brakes & we ran them on the county highways, (couldn't get by doing that today)...
We finally scared ourselves out of it after mounting 2 engines on the rear on a live axle WAY too FAST, and still only using only a friction brake on a rear tire... :smile:KennyV