Honda HRX needs tachometer adjustment from factory?

GregGA

Threads
Again its all down to personel preference.

I have a gillette razor which i thinks brilliant but should i try a wilkinson sword??
As long as the person that buys the product is happy it shouldnt matter what anybody else thinks!!!

Excellent point Pug. Look, I had a Toro 20056(BBC). After 5 years it had about 250 hours. It snapped two BBC clutch cables and the primer bulb was going out and the on off switch quit working. I babied it.

So, who knows. At this point, I am more impressed with the fit, finish, cut and power over the 20056 with flat head Briggs. Time will tell.

On a side note, I had to replace a Briggs motor on a 20 year old pressure washer..bad carb and no replacement around and not worth the repair cost. I bought a 212cc Chonda from Harbor Freight for $100 and I am impressed.
It purrs like a kitten at 3400 RPM.

I've been hard hit by the economy, so money matters. I hope the Honda lives up to my expectations.

GregGA

Threads
As a dealer and by law I dont have to let anybody in my front door if i dont want but as its business i do.

How much money do you think dealers make when selling product?
Considering we have to speak to the customer, maybe go out and look at their garden, give brochures, order the machine, PDI, sometimes deliver and show how to use the machine.
So the 20-30% that a dealer might get has gone on time and sometimes our pocket ie fuel.

So if a customer from a BBS comes in with a warranty or one of my own customer comes, I wonder which one would get priority???

Again I can only go by my own personel opinion and experience.
Gearboxes are poorly designed, wear out to quick. Autochoke is a problem. Why have it work on the inlet temp when it can fluctuate more the exhaust.
Wheels wear out, clutches get heavy and cables snap. Engines only designed for 250-300 hrs.
Like I say only my opinion

The problem I see over here is that the commercial mower customers get the priority. It doesn't matter if you buy the small mower with them or not. When I bought my Toro from Ace Hardware, they did put gas and oil in it, and helped load it in my car. I couldn't get the 20056 at the bbs. For what they did, I would rather save $100 and buy at BBS. Money is tight, and I am mechanically inclined and take good care of my equipment. I am NOT the average buyer.

Ok, tell us what you, as a repair professional wouild do if you owned a Honda HRX to get the longest sevice out of it? Please be specific on oil change intervals, transmission oil change? Cable maintenance, anything that would help us get more than 250hrs out of our investment.\

Thank you for your time!

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The problem I see over here is that the commercial mower customers get the priority. It doesn't matter if you buy the small mower with them or not. When I bought my Toro from Ace Hardware, they did put gas and oil in it, and helped load it in my car. I couldn't get the 20056 at the bbs. For what they did, I would rather save $100 and buy at BBS. Money is tight, and I am mechanically inclined and take good care of my equipment. I am NOT the average buyer.

Ok, tell us what you, as a repair professional wouild do if you owned a Honda HRX to get the longest sevice out of it? Please be specific on oil change intervals, transmission oil change? Cable maintenance, anything that would help us get more than 250hrs out of our investment.\

Thank you for your time!

Take care of it as you said before. And be prepared to fix what ever happens if you know how most repairs are not difficult and cheaper if you do them your self. Worst case scenario you hit something with the blade bend the crank. Then you might as well get a new mower.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Excellent point Pug. Look, I had a Toro 20056(BBC). After 5 years it had about 250 hours. It snapped two BBC clutch cables and the primer bulb was going out and the on off switch quit working. I babied it.

So, who knows. At this point, I am more impressed with the fit, finish, cut and power over the 20056 with flat head Briggs. Time will tell.

On a side note, I had to replace a Briggs motor on a 20 year old pressure washer..bad carb and no replacement around and not worth the repair cost. I bought a 212cc Chonda from Harbor Freight for $100 and I am impressed.
It purrs like a kitten at 3400 RPM.

I've been hard hit by the economy, so money matters. I hope the Honda lives up to my expectations.

What i find is the problem is well known manufacturers are using cheaper less quality materials and then putting the price up because they have the name.

Everybody that posts on here asking "what is the best ????" get an answer like stihl or husky or honda or briggs etc is the best but all make crap and all make quality.
As a dealer you have to find the best quality to match the price.
But that is because the mass market want to buy on price and not quality.

If you are mechanically inclined then yes you will save money but the problem is not everybody is.
Iv seen too many dealers or bbs rip people off with wrong product.

I am honest and say where I am we are not the cheapest to deal with but if you want the job done right then you come to us.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thank you for your time!

Doesnt matter if the customer is commercial or domestic, if they buy a trimmer or expensive tractor then they all get the same attention.

But i will give priority to someone that makes a living from cutting grass etc.

Mowers are meant to last between 5 and 8 years regardless of domestic or commercial.
Domestic run maybe couple of hours a month.
Commercial run 8 hrs a day.
The quality is then built in depending on what its to be used for.

Oils are that good these days that changes only really need to be made on an annual basis.
Air filters are also better and are made so that newer engines will always be emission compliant for about 7 years without changing it.
If cars can last 50,000 miles without changing a plug then mowers should be ok.
Cables are always the problem. I use the rubber funnel that come with cough medicine bottle. I tape it to the cable and use wd40 to penetrate then engine oil to lubricate while i service the mower.

Iv tried everything on HRX mowers to keep boxes going.
But i have realised that we have rear roller models over here that fail often which isnt hydrostatic but sealed mechanical on off transmission
I assume over there its hydrostatic 4 wheeled which are usually quite robust but keep cables lubed.

Also keep your transmission shafts lubricated where the bushes and bearings are.
Some hondas can be a pain to pull back.

lambs

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently bought my HRX over a Toro SR that was on sale. The Toro had a Chinese engine on it; hardware store guy pretended he didn't know so I got on my hands and knees and read the plate on the engine base. Not sure the Honda will be much better though. It puts out a cloud of blue smoke on start up, which at least is on first pull as advertised. My 17 year old HRB didn't smoke that bad when it was new, and barely smoked that bad at 17 years. So I'm not sure the HRX is going to last that long, but I'm sort of wondering if the engine dies, maybe I'll be able to replace the engine with a commercial one. Because this mower will get it done otherwise.

Threads
I recently bought my HRX over a Toro SR that was on sale. The Toro had a Chinese engine on it; hardware store guy pretended he didn't know so I got on my hands and knees and read the plate on the engine base. Not sure the Honda will be much better though. It puts out a cloud of blue smoke on start up, which at least is on first pull as advertised. My 17 year old HRB didn't smoke that bad when it was new, and barely smoked that bad at 17 years. So I'm not sure the HRX is going to last that long, but I'm sort of wondering if the engine dies, maybe I'll be able to replace the engine with a commercial one. Because this mower will get it done otherwise.

All I know is mine doesn't smoke. :confused2: I have around 700 hours on it.

GregGA

Threads

Hmmm. My HRX purchased in July does not smoke on start up. Could you have overfilled the engine oil? Tilt the mower up with the carb down? That's all I can think of, but maybe someone else has an idea.

I never used to pay attention to the 21" mowers on the back of commercial trailers. Now I do:smile: I've seen 3 HRX, 2 on one trailer. One Honda HRC, and one ExMark. Lots of guys just have zero turns.

lambs

Forum Newbie
Threads
It didn't smoke this afternoon at all

I guess maybe the rings have seated. I started my HRX on first pull this afternoon as always, and did not see one puff of smoke. All is well.

GregGA, dealer serviced it when I bought it, but I cannot imagine they did anything other than pour in the 12 oz. bottle of Honda oil and put a little gas in it so we could start it . It's going to take a little getting used to with the Smart Drive, but overall I really like this mower. Definitely more refined than my HRB, and that one was no slouch.

GregGA

Threads
Re: It didn't smoke this afternoon at all

I guess maybe the rings have seated. I started my HRX on first pull this afternoon as always, and did not see one puff of smoke. All is well.

It's going to take a little getting used to with the Smart Drive, but overall I really like it.

Yeah:biggrin: That's good news. I always have buyers remorse when I first buy something that is relatively expense.
I did when I bought the HRX, but when I got it out of the box, looked it over and used it, I can say it is one of the best
purchases I have ever made. Makes mowing the yard fun:cool: