Honda Harmony 215

javjacob

Threads
I engage the blades on my driveway at full throttle. It sounds like it is revved up where it should be. The mower is clean and the deck is clean so there is nothing there to bog it down. Its weird, I literally have to take a good 20-30 seconds to engage the blades slowly or it will stall out. If I have the motor off and engage the blades lever and then start it, it will start up fairly easy.

Myamada1230

Threads
It could be carb, you could have a plugged jet, and when load is introduced to the engine, it dies because it isn't getting enough fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

javjacob

Threads
I don't think that's it. It only has trouble when engaging the blades. I can be mowing tall grass where it is working hard and it has no problems, only when engaging the blades. Acts like the blades are not wanting to turn freely and wants to stall the motor but once the blades get going it runs just fine.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't think that's it. It only has trouble when engaging the blades. I can be mowing tall grass where it is working hard and it has no problems, only when engaging the blades. Acts like the blades are not wanting to turn freely and wants to stall the motor but once the blades get going it runs just fine.

The wear areas of the blade clutch would usually not cause excessive load on the engine, in fact, if worn enough, they would not engage fully but slip and the blades would not match engine speed. Of course, there could be some other damaged or failed parts in the clutch assembly. Honda has very detailed paper shop manual that provides fully disassembly and inspection details of the Roto-Stop (blade clutch) mechanism. The manuals are available on eBay and Amazon.com direct from Honda (free shipping). You may need the serial number off the back of the mower's deck to get to correct manual.

javjacob

Threads
Ok so that would be like a parts fiche? I will have to check that out. I went out in the garage and tried turning the blades by hand and they were very hard to turn and I could only move them about a inch or 2. I tried turning the blades on my John Deere 345 for comparison and they turned freely by hand.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok so that would be like a parts fiche? I will have to check that out. I went out in the garage and tried turning the blades by hand and they were very hard to turn and I could only move them about a inch or 2. I tried turning the blades on my John Deere 345 for comparison and they turned freely by hand.

The Shop Manual for your Honda Harmony 215 can be found by searching ebay or amazon for "Honda Harmony HR215 Shop Manual" I think they are about $35.00 or so. Really nice to have when doing repairs, and very detailed. Not just parts drawings, but full procedures and steps included.

It is normal for the blades to be hard to turn when the engine is off, and for this mower, when the blade clutch is released.

This is because all modern mowers have a blade brake. The purpose of the blade brake is to stop the blade from turning in 2 seconds or less when you let go of the handle. This is safety requirement on all USA mowers made in the last 25+ years.

Now most mowers don't have a clutch (they cost more), and instead just shut off the engine, but still need a brake to stop the blade quickly.

Your HR215 does have a clutch, and when you let go, the engine stays running, but the blades are disconnected (clutch) and a brake is applied to stop the blades < 2 seconds. If there was no brake, the blades would "spin down" like a helicopter shutting down, and the moving blades would be a hazard.

javjacob

Threads
should the blade brake release when the motor is idling then? Maybe the brake isn't releasing? Or maybe a bearing is going bad? I might just take it apart and inspect all the parts if its not too hard to do. Sounds like that's what I might have to do.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
should the blade brake release when the motor is idling then? Maybe the brake isn't releasing? Or maybe a bearing is going bad?

The brake releases and the clutch engages when you push down on the yellow button and then hold the blade lever against the handlebar. When you let go, the clutch releases and the brake engages. This is the same if the engine is on or off.

I might just take it apart and inspect all the parts if its not too hard to do. Sounds like that's what I might have to do.

Great idea; the shop manual will step you through it, including inspection of the wear surfaces on the clutch, etc.

javjacob

Threads
Ok thank you for all the help. I will check all that out.

javjacob

Threads
Update, I tried turning the blades with the lever engaged that engages the blades and the blades turn freely. I was expecting it to turn rough but it is smooth. I cant imagine what it is unless it really is the engine RPMs needs to be adjusted up. I will give that a try in the morning.