Honda 4x4 ATV with IRS

crawdad62

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys. I realize this really isn't a mower related question but I figured I might get a bit more action here than the Front Porch. Anyway I have a bit of property that's quite wooded and I'm thinking about getting a Honda Rancher. I'm curious if anyone knows whether or not the ones with IRS have a differential that allows both rear wheels to spin independently? I've owned a lot of sport ATV's back in the day and know that the solid rear axle will chew up a lot of sod but the option of IRS is $$ so if the only benefit is smoother ride and better traction I can live without it. While out in the woods doesn't matter much but I'd like to keep the field and around the house decent. Any insights would be appreciated.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
IRS Independent Rear Suspension, I have ridden both bikes, straight axle and Independent Rear Suspension. The big advantage I see in the Independent Rear Suspension is it gives you a lot more ground clearance and a little better traction. It will all depend where you plan to ride. As for myself I would prefer the IRS over the straight axle well worth the money. It is just the nature of the ATV with locked axles and aggressive style tires to rip up the sod. If you don't want to rip up sod get a golf cart. I know some brand ATV's you can lock and unlock the front wheel drive and some you can't.

Mikel1

Threads
The Honda rancher is a nice atv, I would get the least aggressive tire you can if you go this route. If you ride the same path and the soil is really wet then your going to rut it out or wear away the sod even if dry. If you would like more opinions on the irs vs straight shaft then google atv connections or honda atv forum(both are great atv forums).
A golf cart like reyoldston has suggested is another option to consider depending on the terrain but if you ride the same path you are going to damage the sod either way.

crawdad62

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys. Appreciate it. A golf cart probably wouldn't be what I need although I had entertained that idea earlier because I figured my wife would be more apt to use it. Get on and go. But I need to haul a cart through the woods, I need to be able to cross a creek and haul rocks up out of it and I'll probably plow snow with it eventually. Tearing up my yard was just more of a question of whether or not the Rancher with IRS has a full-time locked rear diff. I'm heading to the dealer soon so I'll find out anyway. Need to get a few finances in order first. Thanks again.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks guys. Appreciate it. A golf cart probably wouldn't be what I need although I had entertained that idea earlier because I figured my wife would be more apt to use it. Get on and go. But I need to haul a cart through the woods, I need to be able to cross a creek and haul rocks up out of it and I'll probably plow snow with it eventually. Tearing up my yard was just more of a question of whether or not the Rancher with IRS has a full-time locked rear diff. I'm heading to the dealer soon so I'll find out anyway. Need to get a few finances in order first. Thanks again.

You might want to check out Polaris because you can unlock the front axle on them, at the time I bought mine that is the reason I bought a Polaris over a Honda. I do work on ATV's in my shop and sure not going to nock Honda because its a well made ATV. The only other thing is that Honda has a lot of electronics which gives very little problem's but when they do hang on for the ride $$$. The four top machines are all very good ATV's Polaris, Honda, Yamaha or Artic cat and all operate different. You will also want 4X4 if you want to plow snow. I also find a winch very handy just to move heavy logs or rocks. Keep away from the Chinese junk ATV's. If you do decide to get a winch get a Warn over the cheap Chinese junk its well worth the extra money.

crawdad62

Forum Newbie
Threads
Winch for sure. Yeah Warn is pretty much the standard. I actually looked at Polaris too. Really seems like you probably get more for the money with the Polaris. I've just always been a Honda guy. Had lots of motorcycles, 3 wheelers, and scooters of various brands (well the major Japanese brands) and always came back to Honda. I've got a buddy that has a Polaris and he kept raving about the automatic. I was skeptical since I wasn't even a fan of the auto shifts but I have to say it's amazing.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Winch for sure. Yeah Warn is pretty much the standard. I actually looked at Polaris too. Really seems like you probably get more for the money with the Polaris. I've just always been a Honda guy. Had lots of motorcycles, 3 wheelers, and scooters of various brands (well the major Japanese brands) and always came back to Honda. I've got a buddy that has a Polaris and he kept raving about the automatic. I was skeptical since I wasn't even a fan of the auto shifts but I have to say it's amazing.

Nothing wrong with a Honda if that is what you want. They have the electric manual shift. The Honda also has a automatic transmission but it shifts with a computer. Its a nice ATV. I have one in my shop a couple of years back that had wiring problems that went to the transmission computer which was the owner fault not the ATV's because he had someone repairing it that didn't know what they were doing. I also own a Suzuki ATV with a manual shift so I well know the different. Riding a ATV off road is a lot different then riding a on road motorcycle. It just seems I am in the wrong gear when I need not to be is the reason I like the automatic over the manual. The utility Polaris has a high and low range also. I also ride on road motorcycle and wouldn't have anything but a manual transmission. In my earlier years I owned a on road Honda CB750A which had a automatic transmission and just hated the bike.