homemade stripping kit

Threads
Just curious if anyone has put a strip of rubber along the bottom of the mower to get a stripe. I did this today and worked great but mine tore. So what is the correct rubber to use that will hold up?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have a farm supply, Like Atwoods or Tractor Supply check with them for the rubberized horse stall mats. They come in 4x8 sheets, but they usually have a piece thats buggered up, from someone sticking a fork lift into the stack...
The stuff is very tough and will make what you want,
You can also use a piece of conveyor belt or part of a Semi truck mud flap... all work but will not stripe as well as a roller... but a flap will do it... :smile:KennyV

Threads
Thanks very much. I got a piece of conveyer belt today. Looks like it will hold up

Just Deere's

Threads
As KennyV said. A piece of conveyor belt or a mud flap would work.

I just got done Wednesday making one out of chains. But I haven't got to use it yet, I'll have to cut my lawn tomorrow and I'll try it out.

I used to cut my lawn the same way every time I mowed, and I made lines instead of stripes!:biggrin:. I didn't have any kind of lawn striper kit on my mower.

Some people thought they looked good and would ask me how I did that. It took a couple seasons to make the lines. I quit doing that because when we don't have much rain during the summer, The lines in the grass where my wheels ran would turn brown.

What ever you plan to use. Just make sure it won't get caught under your wheels when you back up.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm glad I signed up for this cause u guys are a big help

Well, I am glad you took the time to say so...LFM members might not always be right, we might sometines be flat out wrong, but the majority of us TRY our best to help others here.

Oh, for what it is worth, I couldn't help but notice your original post read "Stripping...." and it made me laugh like heck. For some reason there seems to be a lot or typos in the threads here. And by the way, what is the purpose of lawn "striping" anyhow?

Threads
Well, I am glad you took the time to say so...LFM members might not always be right, we might sometines be flat out wrong, but the majority of us TRY our best to help others here.

Oh, for what it is worth, I couldn't help but notice your original post read "Stripping...." and it made me laugh like heck. For some reason there seems to be a lot or typos in the threads here. And by the way, what is the purpose of lawn "striping" anyhow?

I'm not the best speller in the world but I run this through my phone and a lot of the time it changes words on its own

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not the best speller in the world but I run this through my phone and a lot of the time it changes words on its own

Oh boy, I am going to type "striping" on my Blackberry and see if Autotext "corrects" it....:laughing:

And don't feel bad about being a poor speller, if you were here when Murray Furry joined, I think he was so embarrassed about his mistake of changing "Fury" to Furry" he decided to leave and never return.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
So, what is lawn striping? Nope Autotext didn't change that word. Sent from Blackberry mobile.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... And by the way, what is the purpose of lawn "striping" anyhow?

Striping = aesthetic appeal...
Some marks will naturally show after you mow... wheels will roll the grass forward as the mower travels...
the space between the tires is left un bent, so it end up with some amount of unevenly spaced striping anyway...

If you deliberately mount a roller or anything to cause the full width of the cut to be pushed forward, you can get creative in your artistic mowing patterns. & it can make it a bit different to look at, especially if you attempt to follow the same path and direction each mowing...
That is unless what you mow is generally a mix of grasses and weeds trimmed evenly, like most of my finish mowing... Its not as satisfying trying to stripe weeds.... :smile:KennyV