HG 2800 pumps question. Please.

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK took delivery today of my 2021 Brand new Scag Liberty 48" Z

The hydros are the HG 2800 model. I have no experience with them. My machine has 0.2 hours on it.

The Hydros seem to be awfully loud, & at WFO & any RPM for that matter, is this normal or what ? Do they quiet down after a while ? I don't want to hurt anything.

my Toro w/ EZT 2100's never made noise like this, maybe a little bit backing into it's park spot at lower rpm.

I have some deck height adjusting to do, so won't be mowing till then.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bo.
They should be very quiet when new.
Strongly suggest you send an EMAIL from your computer to the dealer quering the noisy hydros, then print it out and staple it to your purchase receipt

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank You Bert, I appreciate that, & I also spoke to a Hydro-Gear® tech as well. Said the same, should be pretty quiet.

Said on these newest 2800's (w/ no external expansion reservoir, starting this year.) to make sure the parking brake is fully releasing. If not, that can make the hydros really scream. And make them fail very early.

Plus the Dealer is planning to come & pick it up to take care of this.

Glad I still have my Toro waiting for action.

Last edited:

Born2Mow

Threads
Plus the Dealer is planning to come & pick it up to take care of this.
That's the VERY best way to deal with this. Then if the drives give up, at say 100 hours, then you got this complaint and return repair on record. Otherwise, with no documentation of this disorder, the dealer may be wanting you to pick up the bill if there is ever a major problem in the future. Be sure and keep all your paperwork... just in case.

And when you go to pick it up, be sure and drive another unit of the same model before you take yours home. If the dealer can't get yours to be as quite as the others on the sales floor, then you might not want to take yours home.

Lawn Addict
Threads

Born2Mow- Good advice. Thank You. I make a folder to save everything pertinent for all my stuff..

That's what the 5 year warranty is for. Hope this gets sorted out good to go. I really like how the machine is built etc.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
When the new machine was delivered, I looked at the hour meter & it only had 0.1 hours, aka 6 minutes. I thought that is about how long it would take to load & unload from the trailer. Didn't seem to be much testing done.
But then I dismissed that thought.
Now it is stuck in my head, & I questioned the Dealer about that. We'll see, next week is the soonest they can come.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lots of the hour meters are set to 99?.? to give the dealers a few hours of testing.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert- What I see is they go to .9 (in 6 minute increments) then flip to 1 hour.

But I live a sheltered life out in the sticks..

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Tech came to my place today, & said if he can't fix it in my garage, he'll haul it in. Well he checked the fluid levels in both pumps. Then he purged them. And I was surprised at how they quieted down. This guy was as fussy it seemed, as I can be.

After that, he said he would like to check the whole machine over as a courtesy since I would not run it since it arrived. Well all checked out well.
I mentioned, now I just have to set the deck to precisely cut the height the settings read.

He said, no problem, he will take care of it. 1st checked tire air pressure, & set it precisely to the height gauge. I was thrilled this younger guy took the time to check everything I would, &
walked me over everything, I had a question to. Later in the day I called the Dealer & told them they need to give that guy a raise. He was great at what he did.

Good day here. Now, no excuse not to mow, Plus I still have my Toro Z as well.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Good deal!
Now hop on both of the Z's and get mowing! lol