Help With Slope Ratings

rwraysmith

Threads
Does anyone know of a quick way to get multiple manufacturers' slope ratings on their zero turns? Thanks!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most if not all ride on mower manufacturers have their operators manuals available on line. The vast majority of zero turn machines have a 15 degree recommended angle limit. There are other specialized machines that are designed to operate at angles greater than 15 degrees and they usually advertise this advantage. Most vertical and horizontal shaft engines with pressurized lube systems have a 25 degree limit of safe operation.
Zero turn machines for the most part steer by controlling the speed and direction of the rear wheels and no control of the front wheels. Because of this, zero turn machines have a tendency to slide sideways on hills when one or both rear/drive tires loses traction albeit for just a short moment.
I mow a place that has 25 degree hills and I carefully back the machine down the hill and mow up the hill. This is time consuming but necessary however, for both the safe operation of the machine and operator.

rwraysmith

Threads
Most if not all ride on mower manufacturers have their operators manuals available on line. The vast majority of zero turn machines have a 15 degree recommended angle limit. There are other specialized machines that are designed to operate at angles greater than 15 degrees and they usually advertise this advantage. Most vertical and horizontal shaft engines with pressurized lube systems have a 25 degree limit of safe operation.
Zero turn machines for the most part steer by controlling the speed and direction of the rear wheels and no control of the front wheels. Because of this, zero turn machines have a tendency to slide sideways on hills when one or both rear/drive tires loses traction albeit for just a short moment.
I mow a place that has 25 degree hills and I carefully back the machine down the hill and mow up the hill. This is time consuming but necessary however, for both the safe operation of the machine and operator.

Thanks, Mack. I figured that's where the limit was but Snapper is giving me a 20 degree, while all the others are at 15. When I contacted John Deere they couldn't give me an answer. Ventrac has that one machine that can do 30, which seems just crazy, but looking at it in operation, it seems pretty stable.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks, Mack. I figured that's where the limit was but Snapper is giving me a 20 degree, while all the others are at 15. When I contacted John Deere they couldn't give me an answer. Ventrac has that one machine that can do 30, which seems just crazy, but looking at it in operation, it seems pretty stable.

Slope ratings can vary depending on the type of ztr you're talking about. It's true that most of the sit down type ztr are rated for 15 degree and can be used on greater than 15 degree if used the way were designed. The Stander type mowers like the Toro Grandstand and some others are rated at 20 degrees and are far less dangerous on slopes than the sit down version.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
more important, why do you need to know

Why are you asking? Is it a need to know the degree grade or slope that he is mowing before giving a recommendation.

rwraysmith

Threads
Slope ratings can vary depending on the type of ztr you're talking about. It's true that most of the sit down type ztr are rated for 15 degree and can be used on greater than 15 degree if used the way were designed. The Stander type mowers like the Toro Grandstand and some others are rated at 20 degrees and are far less dangerous on slopes than the sit down version.

You both are right, thanks for the feedback. I did get plenty of info from most of the manufacturers I contacted. As a thanks, I'll pass this along, just in case you ever need it:

Ventrac's 4500 is rated for a 30 degree slope. Watching those videos online raises the hackles on the back of my neck.

Snapper's and Walker's mowers are rated for 20 degrees.

Hustler has one rated for 25 degrees.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Why are you asking? Is it a need to know the degree grade or slope that he is mowing before giving a recommendation.

Not what I asked.

He could have had a problem area that needed an out of the square solution like perhas a 2 stroke because the slope is too steep for a 4 stroke to maintain oil suppy ?
He did not state any problem , just asked how to work out slopes.
Before I look for solutios I generally like to know what the actual problem is.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
You both are right, thanks for the feedback. I did get plenty of info from most of the manufacturers I contacted. As a thanks, I'll pass this along, just in case you ever need it:

Ventrac's 4500 is rated for a 30 degree slope. Watching those videos online raises the hackles on the back of my neck.

Snapper's and Walker's mowers are rated for 20 degrees.

Hustler has one rated for 25 degrees.

I don't know where you got those figures but Hustler slope ratings are 15 degrees unless you buy there ATZ and Snapper site says.. Operation on slopes can be dangerous. Using the unit on a slope that is too steep where you do not have adequate wheel traction (and control) can cause sliding, loss of steering, control, and possible rollover. You should not operate on a slope greater than a 5.4 foot rise over a 20 foot length (15 degrees). Walker mower recommends a maximum15 degree slope or 26% grade.

Ventrac on the other hand isn't a ZTR mower, they're Articulating Tractors with Attachments. The tractor itself weighs between 1300 and 1700 lbs and if you add the mowing attachment it's like another 400 lbs or more depending on size and there AWD so they shouldn't have a problem with slopes.

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not what I asked.

He could have had a problem area that needed an out of the square solution like perhas a 2 stroke because the slope is too steep for a 4 stroke to maintain oil suppy ?
He did not state any problem , just asked how to work out slopes.
Before I look for solutios I generally like to know what the actual problem is.

I figured it was something to do with that.