Help With Slope Ratings

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Once again this research analyst for an OEM, original equipment manufacturer for mowers, is trying to make us look stupid. He doesn't answer our questions, provides feedback which makes no sense, and when you give feedback he comes up with different answers. Ray, why don't you tell us who you work for, exactly what information you are looking for and how you are going to use it. If we are going to do the work for you, the least you could do is to provide us a reason for helping. There are dozens of individuals on this forum who have the knowledge to provide you with answers, but you must give us a reason to do so. Do you feel that we have nothing better to do with our time? I would be happy to help if I knew why I should take time to do so.

rwraysmith

Threads
I don't know where you got those figures but Hustler slope ratings are 15 degrees unless you buy there ATZ and Snapper site says.. Operation on slopes can be dangerous. Using the unit on a slope that is too steep where you do not have adequate wheel traction (and control) can cause sliding, loss of steering, control, and possible rollover. You should not operate on a slope greater than a 5.4 foot rise over a 20 foot length (15 degrees). Walker mower recommends a maximum15 degree slope or 26% grade.

Ventrac on the other hand isn't a ZTR mower, they're Articulating Tractors with Attachments. The tractor itself weighs between 1300 and 1700 lbs and if you add the mowing attachment it's like another 400 lbs or more depending on size and there AWD so they shouldn't have a problem with slopes.

Those slope ratings come directly from the manufacturers, or their owners' manuals. Several of them, when contacted, even sent me .pdfs of their manuals. Thanks.

rwraysmith

Threads
Once again this research analyst for an OEM, original equipment manufacturer for mowers, is trying to make us look stupid.

You're doing fine all by yourself. You don't need my help you cyber-bully you.

rwraysmith

Threads
I don't know where you got those figures but Hustler slope ratings are 15 degrees unless you buy there ATZ and Snapper site says.. Operation on slopes can be dangerous. Using the unit on a slope that is too steep where you do not have adequate wheel traction (and control) can cause sliding, loss of steering, control, and possible rollover. You should not operate on a slope greater than a 5.4 foot rise over a 20 foot length (15 degrees). Walker mower recommends a maximum15 degree slope or 26% grade.

Ventrac on the other hand isn't a ZTR mower, they're Articulating Tractors with Attachments. The tractor itself weighs between 1300 and 1700 lbs and if you add the mowing attachment it's like another 400 lbs or more depending on size and there AWD so they shouldn't have a problem with slopes.

FROM THE MANUFACTURERS:

1 -
Thank you for contacting Hustler Service.

I have attached a copy of the safety slope information. With the exception of the Super Z ATZ witch is built to handle a 25 degree hill all other Hustler mowers a not to be placed on a slope greater than 15 degrees.
View attachment Slope Safty.pdf

2 -
March 15, 2001
RE: Walker Mower Operation on a Side Slope
Dear Walker Operator:
The following recommendations are made for operating a Walker Mower on a slope or
hill:
When operating on a slope, reduce speed and use caution to start, stop, and
maneuver. Avoid sharp turns or sudden changes in direction. The maximum
recommended side slope operating angle is 20 degrees or 33% grade.

View attachment 2002-05-16-Slope_Safety_Recommendation.pdf

Last edited:

rwraysmith

Threads

FROM SNAPPER ITSELF (unedited email response)
3 -
Thank you for contacting Snapper.
All of our units are rated for slops up to 20 degrees.
We do not recommend using any unit on any slop over that.

Mark

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
FROM THE MANUFACTURERS:

1 -
Thank you for contacting Hustler Service.

I have attached a copy of the safety slope information. With the exception of the Super Z ATZ witch is built to handle a 25 degree hill all other Hustler mowers a not to be placed on a slope greater than 15 degrees.
View attachment 27930
2 -
March 15, 2001
RE: Walker Mower Operation on a Side Slope
Dear Walker Operator:
The following recommendations are made for operating a Walker Mower on a slope or
hill: When operating on a slope, reduce speed and use caution to start, stop, and
maneuver. Avoid sharp turns or sudden changes in direction. The maximum
recommended side slope operating angle is 20 degrees or 33% grade.
View attachment 27929

I think you have to consider that since 2001 there have been a lot of changes in ztr mowers. Today's site says Walker mower recommends a maximum.15 degree slope or 26% grade. I would have to go with the most recent information/manual with any mower I purchased.

You can mow most any grade or slope you want but the mower you choose has a lot to do with how you and it will handle a slope. For example look at a Gravely ZTR vs a Toro Z Master mower, I can mow slopes with a Z Master that you'll never touch with a Gravely simply because the Toro is better balanced and has a lower center of gravity.

If you really want to test yourself on a slope try the Toro Grandstand, it will mow grades that the others wont or can't simply because of the set up and a lower center of gravity than most of the other standers. It basically comes down to how much money one is willing to spend.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know why you would call me a bully, I would be glad to help you out if you would just answer my questions. Just like when we are trying to diagnosis a running problem on a unit, we need to ask questions to give the most accurate answers. Believe it or not, I have helped a lot of members on this forum even though I like how they post. I have also backed out of a lot of threads because the OP will not help me give the most accurate answer. In this case about slope ratings, there are so many variables involved, questions are asked so that good responses can be given.

rwraysmith

Threads
Don't know why you would call me a bully, I would be glad to help you out if you would just answer my questions. Just like when we are trying to diagnosis a running problem on a unit, we need to ask questions to give the most accurate answers. Believe it or not, I have helped a lot of members on this forum even though I like how they post. I have also backed out of a lot of threads because the OP will not help me give the most accurate answer. In this case about slope ratings, there are so many variables involved, questions are asked so that good responses can be given.

What question did you ask? I can't answer the one about you having anything better to do with your time. Sorry.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I asked:

Ray, why don't you tell us who you work for, exactly what information you are looking for and how you are going to use it. If we are going to do the work for you, the least you could do is to provide us a reason for helping.
I also asked why you won't help us by answering our questions.

Bert asked:

more important, why do you need to know

Ric asked:

Why are you asking? Is it a need to know the degree grade or slope that he is mowing before giving a recommendation.

rwraysmith

Threads
I asked:

Ray, why don't you tell us who you work for, exactly what information you are looking for and how you are going to use it. If we are going to do the work for you, the least you could do is to provide us a reason for helping.
I also asked why you won't help us by answering our questions.

Bert asked:

more important, why do you need to know

Ric asked:

Why are you asking? Is it a need to know the degree grade or slope that he is mowing before giving a recommendation.

I believe Ric was asking B**t why he was asking me why I wanted to know, but no matter.

I think your desire to know who I work for is justified, but you're not working for us. That's kind of a silly thing to say. And it's kind of quaint that you expect me to reveal that information. Do you really expect companies to reveal their top secret projects while they're in development? That kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? No one is forcing you to participate in my threads. If you don't want to participate in my research, or if you want to engage in your mindless paranoia, please go someplace else. I suspect your nasty comments are preventing other well-meaning people from participating, and that's a shame.

My company has the ability to truly revolutionize the machines you folks will be using in the next few years. I came into this forum to consult you folks, the experts, not to get abused.