Help! Need Experiences w/Older Lawn-Boys (1980 Utility) and OPTI-2 Oil

Threads
  • / Help! Need Experiences w/Older Lawn-Boys (1980 Utility) and OPTI-2 Oil
More oil = more smoke = more lubrication =long life
Less oil = Less Smoke = Less lube = Kaboom !

I usually go 2.6 or 7ox whatever those lil Stihl or Echo plastic bottles hold that say mix with 1 gallon of gas on my Lawnboys.....no issues
So, 2.5 oz/gal would be 50:1.
And, 2.7ox(?)/gal slightly less than 50:1.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
More oil = more smoke = more lubrication =long life
Less oil = Less Smoke = Less lube = Kaboom !

I usually go 2.6 or 7ox whatever those lil Stihl or Echo plastic bottles hold that say mix with 1 gallon of gas on my Lawnboys.....no issues
To an extent
You missed the last line
Too much oil = carbon build up+ piston & cylinder scoring = no compression

I have seen 50 times more 2 stokes where the owner ran too heavy a mix got a carbon build up on the exhaust port that broke away got stuck in the ring the gouged grand canals into the bore.

Not as big of a problem with cast iron bores but devistating to alloy ones
There are 2 types of oil mixes
The right ones & the wrong ones and wrong goes both ways

22R

Threads
To an extent
You missed the last line
Too much oil = carbon build up+ piston & cylinder scoring = no compression

I have seen 50 times more 2 stokes where the owner ran too heavy a mix got a carbon build up on the exhaust port that broke away got stuck in the ring the gouged grand canals into the bore.

Not as big of a problem with cast iron bores but devistating to alloy ones
There are 2 types of oil mixes
The right ones & the wrong ones and wrong goes both ways
Tell ya what you are probably technically correct but try this run the same 2 stroke engine of your choice for 30 mins one with a high ratio oil mix and the other with none and report your findings. I would do the high ratio one first if you want to complete the test.

22R

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tell ya what you are probably technically correct but try this run the same 2 stroke engine of your choice for 30 mins one with a high ratio oil mix and the other with none and report your findings. I would do the high ratio one first if you want to complete the test.

22R
Don't know what you are trying to ooze out of this convo but the question has been answered already.

22R

Threads
Hey SloMo, not trying to ooze anything. I have a Lawnboy and OP wanted to know about oil mixture. I use the lil 2.7oz bottles you mix with a gal of gas ( read post right there) I think someone did not like the less oil /more oil part. Try it yourself if you want since you missed my correct answer the OP. report you results.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got a 30+ year old S21ZPM lawnboy. Ran the LB green can oil at recommend 32:1 for about 20 years. Last 10 or so different oils opti, stihl, red armor, at 50:1 with regular pump gas. All runs the same with no problems.

It's not the space shuttle.