Help! Need Experiences w/Older Lawn-Boys (1980 Utility) and OPTI-2 Oil

Threads
  • / Help! Need Experiences w/Older Lawn-Boys (1980 Utility) and OPTI-2 Oil
Folks,
As the title indicates, please help with your successful experiences with mix ratios of OPTI-2 in older Lawn-Boys. I'm getting mixed input from folks, including the OPTI-2 sales reps. My 43 year old manual and fuel tank stamping says:
ONE LAWN-BOY CAN OF OIL TO 2 GALLONS OF GAS.
or
8 OZ. OF NON-LAWN-BOY OIL TO 1 GALLON OF GAS.
So, about how much of my recently purchased OPTI-2 to a gallon of gas? Any thoughts? You know you want to help.
Thanks in advance,
Rocky

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your original Lawn Boy ratios were for mixing with engine oil
Modern 2 stroke oils get mixed a lot thinner
In fact if you mix to the old ratios you usually get carbon build up around the exhaust port .

Threads
Bert,
Thanks, that's why I don't want to "experiment" with my mower.
I'm still looking for someone who has been down this ratio road before.
The manufacturer recommends only 1.3 oz/gallon which seems way too lean on oil.
Rocky

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert,
Thanks, that's why I don't want to "experiment" with my mower.
I'm still looking for someone who has been down this ratio road before.
The manufacturer recommends only 1.3 oz/gallon which seems way too lean on oil.
Rocky
The reason they say this and I am an owner of that product, is their 2-smoke oil is massively thick compared to other 2 smoke oils. I myself struggled with how little oil they want you to use. Then I thought about it. Shook the oil a bit. Poured it to use and noticed the syrup like consistency.

I called them on the phone to ask. They claim to have been in biz for like 30 or something years. Never had anyone with a locked up engine...... blah blah blah.......

So a double thick 2 smoke oil, once diluted with gas is fine. Shake well and pour. Runs fine in my trimmers and blowers.

Threads
The reason they say this and I am an owner of that product, is their 2-smoke oil is massively thick compared to other 2 smoke oils. I myself struggled with how little oil they want you to use. Then I thought about it. Shook the oil a bit. Poured it to use and noticed the syrup like consistency.

I called them on the phone to ask. They claim to have been in biz for like 30 or something years. Never had anyone with a locked up engine...... blah blah blah.......

So a double thick 2 smoke oil, once diluted with gas is fine. Shake well and pour. Runs fine in my trimmers and blowers.
So Slomo,
Just curious,do you actually have what ratio you've used in your Lawn-Boy (mine is a 1980 model, i.e. not making use of more modern engine materials found in much newer trimmers and blowers)?
Rocky

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't have any lawn boys. Just my Maruyama trimmer and backpack blower that are 2 smokers.

Call the OPTI guys and ask your questions. They have a toll free number.

Remember today's oils are WAAAAAY better than when your mower came out. Don't need all that oil from days gone past anymore.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use and recommend Opti-2 in all my 2-cycle engines without any problems. Buy it only in tubes for one gallon on ethanol fuel. I don’t own any Lawn Boys now, but do have customers who follow my advice with no problems.

Threads
I don't have any lawn boys. Just my Maruyama trimmer and backpack blower that are 2 smokers.

Call the OPTI guys and ask your questions. They have a toll free number.

Remember today's oils are WAAAAAY better than when your mower came out. Don't need all that oil from days gone past anymore.
Slomo,
Thanks for the info.
Rocky

Threads
I use and recommend Opti-2 in all my 2-cycle engines without any problems. Buy it only in tubes for one gallon on ethanol fuel. I don’t own any Lawn Boys now, but do have customers who follow my advice with no problems.
Rivets,
Thanks for your input, I value your experience.
Rocky

22R

Threads
More oil = more smoke = more lubrication =long life
Less oil = Less Smoke = Less lube = Kaboom !

I usually go 2.6 or 7ox whatever those lil Stihl or Echo plastic bottles hold that say mix with 1 gallon of gas on my Lawnboys.....no issues